Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 28th, 2013 08:00

Optiplex 9010 Minitower RAID configuration SETUP mirror intel storage

Just rec'd my 9010 tower

I would like to use RAID 1 (mirror) but i don't want to start from scratch

1. is there a step-by step ? or

2. can i just add second drive and then use intel storage manager to set up mirroring?

3. do i need to change anything in BIOS -(or check anything in bios) to confirm that my mini-tower supports this?

thank you

mark

28 Posts

March 28th, 2013 09:00

thanks for the quick reply

so i have currently have my OS and and data on the one physical drive: what are my options to preserve the data, any?

1.5K Posts

March 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi mark,

To create Raid 1 setup you need to install identical harddrive in the system. Then enable raid in the BIOS by following the steps below:

Steps for making No Boot in BIOS:

Tap the F2 key on the keyboard while starting the system at Dell logo.

Under System configuration select Sata Operation.

Make sure Raid on is selected. Then Save & Exit.

Creating Raid 1

1. Upon re-boot, when the option ROM status message appears on the screen – press to enter the Intel Rapid Storage Technology option ROM user interface.

2. In the Main Menu, select the first option to ‘Create RAID Volume’. Enter the name of the RAID volume and press Enter.

3. Select the RAID 1 by using the arrow keys, then press Enter.

4. Press Enter to select the disks to be used by the array that the volume will be created on. Press Enter when done.

4. Enter the size for the RAID volume in gigabytes. The default value will be the maximum size. If a smaller size is entered, the user will be able to create a second volume in the remaining space using the same procedure.

5. After this is done, exit the Option ROM user interface.

Kindly perform these steps and let us know the results, so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

28 Posts

March 29th, 2013 07:00

Sandeep  

can you please review my follow up question?

than ks

1.5K Posts

April 1st, 2013 16:00

Hi mark,

Setting up Raid 1 configuration should not effect the data on the present harddrive. However, it is still advisable to have a backup of the data before you setup raid.

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

28 Posts

April 1st, 2013 19:00

will windows 7 be able to boot from this raid without somehow adding the correct drivers?

thank you

mark

1.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 13:00

Hi mark,

Once you setup Raid 1 successfully then it should not require any additional drivers.

Additional hard drive would be an identical copy of the original hard drive with Windows and drivers.

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

28 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 15:00

sorry but i want to be clear...the raid drivers used in the system are naitive to win 7?

since i'm not using raid on my current windows 7 install..not sure how windows will boot?

does my question make sense?

mark

1.5K Posts

April 4th, 2013 11:00

Hi Mark,

I have checked and there are no separate SATA driver for the RAID configuration. I would request you to kindly setup RAID and let us know if you face any issues.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

28 Posts

April 6th, 2013 06:00

I hit create raid volume

under the DISKS: it says select disks, but this option is greyed out.

where and when do i select the SOURCE?

it is asking me to hit ENTER to CREATE VOLUME

please advise asap

thanks

mark

1.5K Posts

April 8th, 2013 13:00

Hi mark,

Kindly make sure that second disk is identical to the first one. And it is detected in the BIOS setup.

Then, select Create Volume and Select RAID 1 from the option.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

July 9th, 2013 11:00

Hello Sandeep,

I would also like to set up my system for RAID 1 operation but I don't understand a couple of things from your instructions.

You said: Steps for making No Boot in BIOS.

I don't understand what No Boot means.

You said: when the option ROM status message appears on the screen.

What does this mean?  What is the message I am looking for?  Does this message always appear when I boot, or is it something new that will appear after I turn on RAID in the BIOS.

You said: Enter the name of the RAID volume.

Should I just make up a name for the volume, or is there something specific I'm supposed to enter here.

Also, do I have to put the new disk in a specific location on the SATA cables, or can I just put the drive in any open spot and connect it?

thanks.

1.5K Posts

July 10th, 2013 04:00

Hi edadks,

I would be more than happy to answer all your queries.

1) First steps are for enabling the RAID under BIOS so we can setup the RAID.Kindly ignore the word No Boot.

2.) Once you switch on the system just after Dell Logo screen it should give you a option to Press Ctrl+I on the system to enter RAID BIOS. This should appear once RAID is enabled.

Also you can keep tapping Ctrl+I once you see the DELL logo at the startup to enter RAID Configuration console.

3.) There should be two options for selecting RAID Name. RAID 0 or RAID 1 depending on your needs you can select the one suits you appropriately.

4.) You can use any of the available SATA ports on the system and connect it and you would be able to set RAID with the drive.

NOTE: Setting up RAID would delete all the data stored on the system so kindly make a backup before performing the same.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2013 10:00

Hi Sandeep

Thanks for the info.

It appears that it is also possible to set up RAID from within Windows by double clicking on the Intel Rapid Storage Technology tray icon. Is this correct?

thanks,

Ed

1.5K Posts

July 16th, 2013 05:00

Hi Ed,

You might be able to set RAID 1 only from the  Intel Rapid Storage Technology application within Windows. However, to setup RAID 0 clean re-installation of the windows would be required.

It is advisable to re-install windows after setting up RAID on the system which ensure smooth functioning of the system.

16 Posts

August 12th, 2013 05:00

You might be able to set RAID 1 only from the  Intel Rapid Storage Technology application within Windows

where is this application _ I cannot find it..I  have dell 990 opti and have enabled raid and posting is enabled to configure raid ...cannot find application to raid 1 from within windows though???

No Events found!