Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2006 22:00

Recover Administrative Password

Umm. No idea how this message ended up in the Dimension BIOS forums.. sorry, really. It's good info so I'm going to leave it, and hope a moderator moves it to an appropriate forum.

I see alot of people asking how to reset their Windows Administrative Password in an emergency,  here is some help:

AUSTRUMI is a business card size (50MB) bootable Live CD Linux distribution that can change the passwords for any user on Windows NT, 2000 or XP INCLUDING the administrator account. You do NOT need to know how to use Linux to use this tool.

All you have to do is boot the CD and when you get to the first command prompt type in:

boot: nt_pass

The software will scan your hard drives and detect your user accounts. Simply follow the directions on the screen and you'll be able to change your password for any user. Please use this responsibly, and lawfully.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/austrumi

You will need to download the .iso image from the link above and burn the image to a CD with a program such as NERO Burning Rom. Note: do not just put the .iso on a cd as data. You will have to select "recorder" then "burn image..." and select the .iso to burn to cd.

If you do not have NERO, you can use a freeware program to burn the .iso such as ISO Recorder. Here are instructions on obtaining and using ISO Recorder for Windows: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

I hope this helps.

Terms so search function finds this post:  Windows XP Password  Admin Password Lost Password Administrator Administrative

Message Edited by E1505x2 on 11-16-200606:25 PM

Message Edited by E1505x2 on 11-16-200606:29 PM

70 Posts

November 20th, 2006 14:00

in my case the Dell will not allow me to use a flobby, cd, boot to BIO's.  It is a white screen and wants the admin passowrd.
The Dell tech said "new motherboard needed period".

70 Posts

November 20th, 2006 15:00

youre right, its a notebook.
and thank you very much for the replies. i was in that site arealast week reading about paper clip jumps, battery removal, and Dell having these master passwords.
I told my Dell Gold support Advisor I would prefer a password over a motherboard..but she said I need a motherboard.
Thanks again. I am waiting for a return call from my lady from Dell today..I hope...with permission form the registered owner to proceed.

9.4K Posts

Sdanville, sounds like you have a Latitude D510 portable and not a desktop system.   The clearing of BIOS passwords on a laptop isn't as simple due to the ease at which portables can be stolen.   If you can prove ownership then Dell Tech Support can provide you with a Master password to unlock the system.  Click here for a Forum FAQ on what do do if you forgot or lost your laptop password.

As for buying a motherboard on E-Bay, just be careful you are not buying another BIOS "locked" motherboard.

9.4K Posts

Sdanville, what the original poster of this message thread was referring to was the Windows Administrator password which is different from a BIOS Administrator password.  If you own a Dell desktop model there are ways to clear the BIOS passwords via a jumper on the motherboard which I would assume Dell Tech Support had tried and were unsuccessful.  Thus a motherboard replacement.

Message Edited by Majestic on 11-20-200611:09 AM

70 Posts

Oh, duh, my bad.

Dell never saw my Dell D510. It was just a phone conversation.
I was told by Dell the motherboard would have to be replaced as they (told me) they have no passwords and if the password was lost by the registed owner , Dell called the registered owner and they did not have it either. 

I need a motherboard. one just sold on ebay for $170 ish.

9.4K Posts

November 20th, 2006 16:00

Sdanville, you're welcome.  I'm glad to have been of assistance.  Best of luck in resolving your problem.

4K Posts

November 20th, 2006 18:00

Check your private messages
No Events found!