Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2008 16:00

Replacing the 630i motherboard with a non-Dell...?

*If* one were to replace the XPS 630i's motherboard with one from Nvidia's 700i series, would the following be possible?

- Keep the 630's chassis lighting because the master I/O board isn't being replaced and Nvidia supports ESA.

- Retain the current boot drive's programs and data (new OS required).

- Keep current Q6600 CPU, but possible upgrade to 45nm CPU in the future.

Just curious if any or all of the above could be done, thanks.

14.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2008 16:00

#3 as long as the same socket is used the processor will migrate fine..

526 Posts

May 2nd, 2008 17:00

Thanks Dave.  Are you not sure about the first two, or is #3 the only one possible?

28 Posts

May 2nd, 2008 18:00

I don't have the 630 but :

1 ) who knows !!

2 ) data : yes, but keep them in a separate folder that windows doesn't delete during the OS installation, and anyway I would make a backup; programs should be reinstalled; new OS ? ( non dell I assume you mean )  not really but it isn't legal so I won't say anything more :manwink:

3 ) yes, of course, if the new board allows it

Message Edited by FSIam on 05-02-2008 07:17 PM

30 Posts

May 2nd, 2008 19:00

I'm also wondering about this,

So are you guys saying that you WOULDN'T be able to keep your OS and data if you swapped mobos? I thought the OS was stored on the HDD so wouldn't everything still be there?

14.4K Posts

A motherboard is a major system componet and as such i believe a OS reinstall would be necessary. No comes the legal part..Legaly you cannot use the Dell disk as this is tied to the motherboard/bios. would it work possibly. So one would more than likely need a new Os.

As to weather the lights would still work..that would depend on how well the front I/O panel can interface with the motherboard. The processors would migrate as long as the new board has a 775 socket..

526 Posts

The nVidia mobo I was thinking of the is the 780i.  In relation to my first question, I guess it would depend on if the 780i motherboard had the master I/O connections on it compared to Dell that has a seperate board for those connections.

Now, if I was to go with a Dell 730 mobo it may be a more simple plug-n-play method, as the 730 also has a seperate master I/O board. If that's the case, I *should* be able to retain chassis lighting *if* the 630's master I/O board can connect to the 730's mobo.  This should also allow keeping my existing OS and not have to buy a new copy.  But I guess no one's really sure of the capabilities of the 730 board yet, so there's still a lot of ifs there.

6 Posts

May 5th, 2008 18:00

Rambler,

I did a bit of research and it looks like the Master I/O board uses an internal USB connection. The pinout itself looks exactly like the one on most motherboards that allow you to connect front usb ports. I would be willing to be that the master i/o board would work.

Also, you should be able to swap out the motherboard and not have to reinstall the OS. I would uninstall the Nvidia system software before you do the swap though. Then just install the new stuff. I would also do a backup before you did any of this, just in case. 

526 Posts

May 5th, 2008 19:00

@Sean_M_28 wrote:

I did a bit of research and it looks like the Master I/O board uses an internal USB connection. The pinout itself looks exactly like the one on most motherboards that allow you to connect front usb ports. I would be willing to be that the master i/o board would work.

Also, you should be able to swap out the motherboard and not have to reinstall the OS. I would uninstall the Nvidia system software before you do the swap though. Then just install the new stuff. I would also do a backup before you did any of this, just in case. 

That's actually great news if that's the case.  Though I'm thinking it may be better to use Dell's ESA software for the chassis lights.  I think nVidia's software should be common across its boards anyway.  I guess there's only one way to find out though.

But the big question I had was - do nVidia's boards have their Master I/O integrated on the motherboard itself?  Dell uses a seperate master I/O board, so I'm not sure if it's compatible that way.

No Events found!