Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2011 14:00

Restore to Factory Settings - help

Hi, can anyone help - I have a Dell Inspiron One 19T running windows 7

I seem to have picked up a virus which has left internet explorer corrupt and I can not access the internet on that computer.  My system is supposed to be protected by Mcafee Anti virus software.  I have run a scan through McAfee which did not detect any problems.  I have downloaded the Windows/Microsoft Help pages which suggest running an online security scanner but as I cannot access the internet on that computer, this is impossible. 

I tried to restore the computer to the factory settings by pressing F8 on the logo screen to get the options to restore but it does not bring that menu up - is there another way to bring that menu up?

Can I get Internet Explorer in disc format and re-load it onto the computer or is a system restore a better option?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 25th, 2011 14:00

darkp11

The procedures for restoring Windows 7 on a Dell Computer to it's factory settings, are HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

If you are unable to use the PC restore feature, a Manual Reinstall of Windows 7 is required, go HERE for the instructions.

The Dell Windows 7 reinstallation disc is required for the Manual Reinstallation. 

Bev.

3 Posts

January 26th, 2011 00:00

Thanks Bev

I've tried the first one but did not seem to action any menus to allow me restore and I do not have any discs to restore manually - did not realise I was supposed to create them myself

3.7K Posts

January 26th, 2011 02:00

Thanks Bev

I've tried the first one but did not seem to action any menus to allow me restore and I do not have any discs to restore manually - did not realise I was supposed to create them myself

If your system came with Win7 preinstalled, then there is a program on your system called Dell Data Safe to make the backup's. If it has gone, then you can download it from HERE.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 26th, 2011 07:00

Thanks Bev

darkp11

If you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Note: Dell may charge for the disc.

Bev.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2011 02:00

Thanks to you both - I discovered that I should be tapping instead of press & hold!

Managed to restore the system to factory settings last night and virus seems to be gone - now backing up everything :emotion-1:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 27th, 2011 07:00

Thanks to you both - I discovered that I should be tapping instead of press & hold!

Managed to restore the system to factory settings last night and virus seems to be gone - now backing up everything :emotion-1:

darkp11

Please to hear that the issue is resolved.

Bev.

1 Message

March 31st, 2013 06:00

I have a virus and I can't get rid of,I have taken it to Internet shop three times but it keeps reappearing.i'd like to take it back to factory settings,but I need help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 31st, 2013 09:00

I have a virus and I can't get rid of,I have taken it to Internet shop three times but it keeps reappearing.i'd like to take it back to factory settings,but I need help.

george no1

It will be handy to know the version of windows that's installed.

Bev.

No Events found!