Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2012 15:00

S.M.A.R.T.

Have read the answers to other peoples questions about disabling S.M.A.R.T....Here is my situation..

Have four family members with profiles on desk top....my profile has the error message..can't access my files.

Ran diagnostics...hard drive fine...The other profiles work fine...Went into Dell help and low and behold..

if you pay 80 bucks for some software it will fix your problem...Data Recovery Software...Why wud the other

profiles work fine and my does not??? Thanks for listening...want to get rid of S.M.A.R.T.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 16:00

SMART is the hardware-based hard drive diagnostics. I don't think it's a good idea to disable it. What I would do is save the profiles using Windows Easy Transfer, clean install generic Windows 7 (non-Dell edition), and re-import the profiles.

May I ask which OS version you have?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 19:00

Your profile is probably corrupted.

Click start>run and type in:

chkdsk c: /f

Click ok

Accept the offer to run chkdsk on next reboot and then reboot. chkdsk will run before Windows loads, and may take a while depending on size of hard drive.

If that doesn't help, create a new profile for yourself and take "Ownership" of all the files belonging to the old profile. Once you're sure Ownership of all the files has been assigned  to the new profile, you can delete the old one.

June 25th, 2012 04:00

Using windows 7 Home Edition ..Thanks for responding rdunnill

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 25th, 2012 09:00

S M A R T is indicating that Drive will DIE FOREVER soon.

Many computers automatically check SMART Status when they start up which is when most people become aware of the issue. If still under warranty, then SMART Status FAIL is a valid condition for warranty replacement.

When a SMART Status test has a FAIL it is extremely important that you back up all of your important data. SMART Status FAIL is a near-term prediction of drive failure and the drive usually functions like normal. Unfortunately, there is no way to specifically predict when the failure will occur, so your best response is to back up your data as soon as possible.

No Events found!