Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2014 11:00

SERVICE TAG MISSING IN BIOS AFTER XPS 8300 MOTHERBOARD REPLACED BY DELL

The motherboard in my XPS 8300 was recently replaced by Dell because the service tag was missing in the bios after the last time they replaced the motherboard (They have replaced it three times total). It is not possible to enter the service tag in "setup". Does anyone know how to do this? Any help will be appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 20th, 2014 11:00

If the service tag is blank the system will allow 1 time change of this field via Bios Setup Screen.

4 Posts

August 20th, 2014 13:00

I am not able to change the service tag field in the Bios Setup Screen. That is the reason I contacted Dell in the first place. There must be something else wrong. Thank you very much for your post.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 20th, 2014 13:00

The field cannot be changed once a value is there.

4 Posts

August 20th, 2014 14:00

Thank you for your attention. There is no value there. The field is blank. There is nothing after "Service Tag:" In fact, I can't even go to the field to enter anything. Thank you again for your help.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 20th, 2014 14:00

Why does it even matter..?

4 Posts

August 20th, 2014 16:00

If the service tag is not present Dell System Detect fails. As a result you can't access support for your system for certain maintanence tasks at Dell.com.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 20th, 2014 19:00

And if you read these forums, you'll see people complaining constantly that Dell System Detect doesn't work, even when the Service Tag is in BIOS.

But if you go to the Support page (click Support link at top of any forum page) and enter your Service Tag manually, you should still be able to do everything you want, even without having Dell System Detect look for the Service Tag.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 20th, 2014 19:00

And one more thingy...

Dell System Detect launches itself at start up, so you have one more thing running in the background all the time, doing nothing except hogging resources. And all it does is scan your computer to detect your service tag.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 21st, 2014 06:00

Several things I believe are in play.

1. This is not a USA user more likely EMEA user.

2. The service and machine were not obtained directly from dell.

No Events found!