Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2011 16:00

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility. (Selected boot device not available).

I have a Dell Dimension 9150. System Info; System = Dell DXP051; BIOS Version = A02 (10/28/05) Pre-installed with Windows XP.

I have, this last year used Windows 7 and format the computer twice a year. Today I did the same. I installed Windows 7 professional x32 english version. This comes from MSDNAA Software Centre where university students get different Microsoft products with key to install on their computers.

I usually want a clean install where I also, during the install get the option to format the harddrive. I put the DVD (which is an ISO image) in the DVD-ROM and restart the computer. During startup I get the screen; F2 Setup / F12 Boot menu.

My options are 1- Onboard or CD-ROM Drive, 2- Onboard SATA Hard Drive. I choose the 1- Onboard or CD-ROM Drive. (Yes, I have tried both). Then I get the following screen. "Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility". I choose F1 and get "Selected boot device not available - Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility". FRUSTRATING.

I start up my computer normally (which already has Windows 7 installed from my last format), go in on the DVD-ROM, choose "Setup" and Windows installs correctly. Even though I get the option for "Clean install" which I choose, I do not get the option to "format" the hard drive. Windows installs and Microsoft accepts the product key and everything is fine. But I know that I do get the option for formatting the hard drive when I boot the computer with the DVD.

I try again. I get the same F1 and F2 message. I check the setup utility. My boot sequence is correct.

1- Onboard or CD-ROM Drive

Onboard or USB Floppy Drive (not present)

2- Onboard SATA Hard Drive

3- Onboard IDE Hard Drive (not present)

4- USB Device (not present)

And I do play around a little bit with these, just to.. let's say activate it, but with 1- Onboard or CD-ROM Drive as first option.

Just so it is mentioned, at this point the computer boots up to the just installed Windows 7 when I start it up. It just doesn't want to install Windows 7 from the DVD-ROM. But I know this wokrs fine, since it just installed Windows from the DVD through the Winodws menu system, My computer etc.

I look through the Dell Community Forums and others and then someone does have a solution which everybody seems happy with. When this message comes up, (Put the Num lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock keys on, and then ..alt-tab-E...alt-tab-F and ...alt-tab-B). I am at work now, and can't remember if these were the exact keys, but I pressed what I was told. Before I get to my last alt-tab, the computer gives a new message.

Floppy diskette seek failure. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. And now, it off course doesn't even boot into Windows anymore. I am stuck on this screen.

Last thing, if you look away from the Floppy diskette seek failure screen, the other F1 and F2 screen is something I have got a few times when I do this with my Dell9150 Dimension and I have always solved it. I just can't remember how I did it. So I don't beleive it is a malfunctioning hard drive or cable problem.

So, where do I begin?

and what other information is needed to get this going again?

( I irritate myself for not writing down the solution last time I ended up with this problem.. but now I also have the Floppy screen to worry about). There is no floppy in the computer. And even though it is a DVD-ROM which I have and the setup utility screen says 1- Onboard or CD-ROM Drive, this has never been a problem.

hashes

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 7th, 2011 17:00

Hi Hashes,

You have reset BIOS defaults, so you need to go into the BIOS and set up your system parameters, including turning the floppy controller off (I presume you don't have one), and changing the appropriate settings for your hard drive (probably SATA port 0) and DVD drive (PATA port).

Next, in order to make the installation simpler, I suggest changing the SATA mode to ATA.

In order to delete the current partition during the Win 7 installation, see these instructions.

That should be enough to get your reinstallation started, but these instructions might come in handy at some point.

1 Message

December 14th, 2011 21:00

I have a Dell Dimension 9150. System Info; System = Dell DXP051; BIOS Version = A02 (10/28/05) Pre-installed with Windows XP.

I have, this last year used Windows 7 and format the computer twice a year. Today I did the same. I installed Windows 7 professional x32 english version. This comes from MSDNAA Software Centre where university students get different Microsoft products with key to install on their computers.

I usually want a clean install where I also, during the install get the option to format the harddrive. I put the DVD (which is an ISO image) in the DVD-ROM and restart the computer. During startup I get the screen; F2 Setup / F12 Boot menu.

My options are 1- Onboard or CD-ROM Drive, 2- Onboard SATA Hard Drive. I choose the 1- Onboard or CD-ROM Drive. (Yes, I have tried both). Then I get the following screen. "Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility". I choose F1 and get "Selected boot device not available - Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility". FRUSTRATING.

I start up my computer normally (which already has Windows 7 installed from my last format), go in on the DVD-ROM, choose "Setup" and Windows installs correctly. Even though I get the option for "Clean install" which I choose, I do not get the option to "format" the hard drive. Windows installs and Microsoft accepts the product key and everything is fine. But I know that I do get the option for formatting the hard drive when I boot the computer with the DVD.

I try again. I get the same F1 and F2 message. I check the setup utility. My boot sequence is correct.

1- Onboard or CD-ROM Drive

Onboard or USB Floppy Drive (not present)

2- Onboard SATA Hard Drive

3- Onboard IDE Hard Drive (not present)

4- USB Device (not present)

And I do play around a little bit with these, just to.. let's say activate it, but with 1- Onboard or CD-ROM Drive as first option.

Just so it is mentioned, at this point the computer boots up to the just installed Windows 7 when I start it up. It just doesn't want to install Windows 7 from the DVD-ROM. But I know this wokrs fine, since it just installed Windows from the DVD through the Winodws menu system, My computer etc.

I look through the Dell Community Forums and others and then someone does have a solution which everybody seems happy with. When this message comes up, (Put the Num lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock keys on, and then ..alt-tab-E...alt-tab-F and ...alt-tab-B). I am at work now, and can't remember if these were the exact keys, but I pressed what I was told. Before I get to my last alt-tab, the computer gives a new message.

Floppy diskette seek failure. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. And now, it off course doesn't even boot into Windows anymore. I am stuck on this screen.

Last thing, if you look away from the Floppy diskette seek failure screen, the other F1 and F2 screen is something I have got a few times when I do this with my Dell9150 Dimension and I have always solved it. I just can't remember how I did it. So I don't beleive it is a malfunctioning hard drive or cable problem.

So, where do I begin?

and what other information is needed to get this going again?

( I irritate myself for not writing down the solution last time I ended up with this problem.. but now I also have the Floppy screen to worry about). There is no floppy in the computer. And even though it is a DVD-ROM which I have and the setup utility screen says 1- Onboard or CD-ROM Drive, this has never been a problem.

hashes

No Events found!