Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2012 22:00

T7400 Alert! Chipset heat sink not detected. System Halted!

How do I correct the problem? Dell T7400 error message: Alert! Chipset heat sink not detected. System Halted! (at bootup)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 21st, 2012 04:00

Check to make sure the part is in place and firmly attached.

July 25th, 2012 17:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

If you are getting this error message on boot up I would suggest you to try doing flee power. To do flee power you have to unplug any external peripherals and also the power cable, hold down the power button for about 30 seconds .Then plug back the power cable and turn it on. The system should come on normally.

If you have any more queries please reply.

Thanks and Regards

DELL_Priyanka_S

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

https://www.facebook.com/Dell

4 Posts

July 25th, 2012 19:00

The answer to the T7400 Alert! Chipset heat sink not detected. System Halted! The clip attached to the motherboard that retains the retension spring holding the heat sink tight to the motherboard boke off. Clip #HS_CLP2. Does anyone know if this clip can be re-soddered to the motherboard without damaging it?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 25th, 2012 21:00

Bob S-5925

The motherboard needs to be replaced.

Bev.

August 3rd, 2012 10:00

Hi,

In order to help you further on this matter ,I  request you to please add me as a friend and send me a private message.Please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue.On the next page,click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so i may access your system records.This will allow me to help you further,before we decide upon whether to change the motherboard or not.

Thanks and Regards

DELL_Priyanka_S

Dell Social Media Responder

4 Posts

November 1st, 2013 17:00

I got the same problem. It was working alright and then suddenly won't boot any longer, with the message "Alert! Chipset heat sink not detected. System halted!" It is also T7400.

Any idea what to do?

4 Posts

November 1st, 2013 17:00

My T7400 just developed the same issue. Thanks to your post, I found the HS_CLP2 broken on my board. I think I even heard when the clip hit something inside, perhaps just as it broke off...

May I ask what you had to do, how did you fix the problem?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 1st, 2013 18:00

ehodzic

Replace the motherboard.

Bev.

4 Posts

November 1st, 2013 18:00

Replacing the whole motherboard might be too expensive for this problem. Wonder if it might be possible to solder the HS_CLP2 clip back onto the motherboard.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 08:00

Replacing the whole motherboard might be too expensive for this problem. Wonder if it might be possible to solder the HS_CLP2 clip back onto the motherboard.

ehodzic

Don't know.

There is this workaround that has been used, but I have no comments about it's viability.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t613395-alert_chipset_heat_sink_not_detected

Bev.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2013 12:00

And of course the warranty expired just about three weeks ago...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 13:00

ehodzic

That's a bummer.

Bev.

1 Message

February 10th, 2015 20:00

I can't believe it but that help! Thank you for that suggestion!

1 Message

May 19th, 2016 13:00

This worked for me! 

Had heatsink error on Dell Optiplex 990 after putting Win7 on and performing Dell recommended updates as well as Windows. (recipe for disaster sometimes)  

After I read this fix, I tried it and it worked.

No Events found!