Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2013 02:00

Upgrading The Power Supply and GPU of a Dell Inspiron 660s

Hello, all. I bought the Inspiron 660s, thinking it would have ample GPU power to run at least Planetside 2 on moderate settings. Unfortunately, it does not. Looking around, I need to upgrade my power supply to get a decent card, assuming the card will even fit. If someone could please provide either a low-profile (220 watt max) card for moderate gaming, or a power supply upgrade and a card (That will fit) for moderate to heavy gaming, I'd be much appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 24th, 2013 06:00

Hi Selrahc,

The slim model power supply is not upgradeable. Sorry.

There have been a number of discussions on compatible power supplies for this model, such as this one. I would do some searching.

1.5K Posts

March 24th, 2013 09:00

I would consider these two upgrades for moderate gaming HERE.  Forget about the HD 6450 for Planetside 2.  The HD 7750 will work on the 300 watt power supply I suggested.   However, you may have to remove way too many parts to replace the power supply in these small cases and the effort would not be worth it.  Therefore, just get the video card because others and used it on their 660s and the stock power supply.  According to your manual, you would have to remove almost everything in your case including the motherboard, CPU fan and heatsink, fan shroud, and CPU just to get it out and a new one in. Upgrades are better suited for the mini towers not the slim models.  

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 24th, 2013 10:00

The slim model power supply is not upgradeable. Sorry.

I thought the 660s used a TFX power supply? In that case, Seasonic offers a 350-watt 80 Plus Gold model, which will power any low profile video card available.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 24th, 2013 11:00

Someone on eBay is selling TFX units as replacements, but other sellers are offering a proprietary-looking unit.

Looking at the manual, I think a TFX would fit, but it wouldn't have the rear support flange.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 24th, 2013 11:00

[quote user="osprey4"]The slim model power supply is not upgradeable. Sorry.

I thought the 660s used a TFX power supply? In that case, Seasonic offers a 350-watt 80 Plus Gold model, which will power any low profile video card available.

[/quote]

rdunnill

I don't believe the Inspiron 660s 220w power supply is a standard TFX unit, it seems to be a Dell proprietary unit,

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/Dell%20660s%20Inspiron%20Desktop%20Manual.pdf

Bev.

No Events found!