Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2014 10:00

Use Windows 7 on an Optiplex 980 with a Windows XP downgrade

I purchased an Optiplex 980 for use in my small office.  Then software vendor had not upgraded his software to run on Windows 7 so i had to get the Windows XP downgrade.  Now, I no longer use the software that caused this situation, and want to use Windows 7 as I have that on all of my other computers, and I understand that MS will not support XP any longer.  I have the disk for Windows 7 Professional and it says that this program is already installed on my computer.  Can I just switch to Windows 7 or do I have to reinstall the Windows 7 Professional software.  I ran the "check the computer"  program and it says that I cannot "upgrade" to Windows 7 Professional, but have to do a "Custom" install.  If the program is already on the computer, is it necessary to re-install the program?  What is the easiest thing for me to do to be able to use Windows 7 Professional?  I am a computer neophyte.

Thanks,

job8223

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

I suggest exporting your files and settings using Windows Easy Transfer, and afterwards 'custom' install (without reformatting) Windows 7. Boot Windows 7, and again using Windows Easy Transfer, import the exported files and settings. Afterwards, install any needed applications, and apply the several hundred Windows Updates (via Windows Update).

3 Posts

Thanks, will give that a try.  When my son can help.

John

3 Posts

March 7th, 2014 09:00

It worked.  Thanks.

John

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 7th, 2014 14:00

You're welcome -- glad we could help!
No Events found!