Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2012 03:00

Video driver for Optiplex 745 - confused

The hard drive failed on this so I've bought a new one and reinstalled Windows XP and used the Drivers off the Dell download page to get it back up and running.  However, before the hard drive failed my son subscribed to Minecraft, which he was able to play no problem.  Now when he logs in it says that there are Bad Video Drivers.  The message reads: Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.  This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.

I should add that I have previously reformatted the old hard disk and followed the same procedure that I did this time and it worked then, so I don't understand why it won't work now.  I have been to the Intel site and tried to download what seems to be a later driver, but it says it's not validated to work with my computer and to go to the manufacturer's website.  I've been back to Dell's site and done a search for the latest version and it doesn't say it's compatible with the Optiplex 745 - tried to download it anyway, but I get the same message that Intel give me.

All Windows XP updates are installed.

I'm very confused, can anyone help?

Jane

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

April 13th, 2012 03:00

Hi Jane,

Can you try this driver and see if it works okay for you? The link is here

If you're having any other issues with the system, please let me know and I'll be more than happy to help!

7 Posts

April 13th, 2012 04:00

Thanks John, the driver is the same as the existing one I installed, however, I downloaded it and reinstalled it again, just in case!  But it hasn't cured the problem.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Regards

Jane

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 13th, 2012 07:00

Chipset Drivers should be installed Before any other drivers.

Then Directx June 2010

Then Service pack 3

Then the video.

Intel® Chipset Device Software

9.3.0.1019 Production Version

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20775/eng/infinst_autol.exe

ATI Drivers Require DotnetFX 1.1 and 2.0 installed at a minimum.

Download: .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package ...

Download: .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package ...

They also require Directx June 2010.

Download: DirectX Redist (June 2010) - Microsoft Download Center ...

And SP3 the Full Update not the Express Package.   Install Each Piece and REBOOT before installing the next piece.

Download: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation ...

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

April 13th, 2012 09:00

Hi Jane,

No problem, I just wanted to make sure that you had tried the correct driver and according to our support site, that driver should work. What I would do is exactly what SpeedStep has advised. Incorrect order of installation for drivers can have a knock-on effect as drivers may depend on other drivers (like the chipset drivers) being installed beforehand.

Just so we can be sure, can you tell us what drivers you have already installed and in what order? I just want to make sure that we get to the root cause of this for you!

Thanks in advance!

1 Message

April 13th, 2012 16:00

Hi John,

I have an Optiplex 745 running Windows 7.  I know it's not on your compatibility list, but I have seen others running it just fine.  My is running fine also, I do not have any Windows 7 issues per say.  Although, I have a seemingly minor Video issue I was hoping you could help me resolve.

I purchased a VGA/XGA Y-adapter cable and connected my Dell monitors to the Optiplex.  I have an on-board Intel Q965/Q963 graphic display adapter and I get a clone display on both monitors.  I would like to use the extended desktop feature, but the Intel adapter is only recognizing one monitor, the same is true for the Windows Display in Control Panel. 

Can you tell me is there a monitor file I could load or what the compatible video driver would be to install so the adapter will recognize both monitors for an extended display?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 13th, 2012 18:00

Minecraft System Requirements

CPU: Intel Celeron 430 1.8GHz / AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT / ATI Radeon HD 3470

RAM (Memory): 1 GB

Hard Drive Space: 1 GB

DirectX Version: 9

integrated INTEL Graphics is NOT going to work.

7 Posts

April 13th, 2012 18:00

Hi John

Thanks for your response.  I followed the method SpeedStep gave, but sadly it still hasn't worked.  

After installing Windows XP on the new hard drive, I used the Analyze this system for updates function on the Drivers & Downloads page.  It identified 3 that I needed:  R132539 (Chipset), R162386 (Comms) and R189424 (video) - which were installed in that order.  Since then I have installed all the Windows updates and am up to date with these.

I also had a 'blue screen' come up today, i.e. computer stopped and then took me to the blue screen where Windows had been shut down.  I switched pc off and back on again and it took me to a Microsoft web page where it said there was a problem with a video driver.

I have also done an internet search on the error message Minecraft was giving me, and it takes me to their forum where it appears others have had problems too - so perhaps the problem isn't to do with my pc???  It does puzzle me though why it worked before and now doesn't.  Ah well, it just means my son will have to do without his game.

Having just bought a new hard drive, I hope this doesn't mean the start of the end of something else!

Thanks for your help.

Jane

7 Posts

April 14th, 2012 01:00

Thanks SpeedStep - interesting how it USED to work with Integrated graphics.

I'm moving into new territory for me here and I have limited knowledge, but is it worthwhile trying to upgrade this computer by adding a graphics card?  Am I right in thinking that I need a PCI Express low profile type?  But if it needs to be a minimum RAM of 1GB, can this computer support it?

At the end of the day, if he can't play his game then he can't play his game, but I'm happy to explore upgrading if it's feasible without spending a fortune, and if it's worth doing on an old computer.  (Though I do reluctantly let him play it on MY computer!)

You advice is really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jane

7 Posts

April 14th, 2012 03:00

Oops I've got that really wrong in my message above!!!! Ignore the bit about 1GB RAM - I was thinking you referred to the graphics card!

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

April 17th, 2012 04:00

Hi Jane,

It's possible that your son had an older version of Minecraft which worked with the graphics chipset in the Optiplex 745 and when the operating system was reinstalled and Minecraft put back on the system, it could be a newer version which is now incompatible with the graphics chipset. There's other instances of people having the same issue, for example here: www.tomshardware.co.uk/.../111448-25-intel-3000

Upgrading the video card would resolve the problem more than likely, assuming that your system meets the other minimum specs for Minecraft. Depending on the form factor of your Optiplex, the graphics card can be low profile or full profile. What I've done is send you a friend request so I can ask you for your system's service tag - just to ensure that this is kept private. Once I know this, I should be able to advise you further.

You said you had a blue screen appear. Has it happened before or was that the first time you have experienced it? Also, has it happened more than once afterwards?

Hope to hear from you soon!

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

April 17th, 2012 04:00

Hi John,

I have an Optiplex 745 running Windows 7.  I know it's not on your compatibility list, but I have seen others running it just fine.  My is running fine also, I do not have any Windows 7 issues per say.  Although, I have a seemingly minor Video issue I was hoping you could help me resolve.

I purchased a VGA/XGA Y-adapter cable and connected my Dell monitors to the Optiplex.  I have an on-board Intel Q965/Q963 graphic display adapter and I get a clone display on both monitors.  I would like to use the extended desktop feature, but the Intel adapter is only recognizing one monitor, the same is true for the Windows Display in Control Panel. 

Can you tell me is there a monitor file I could load or what the compatible video driver would be to install so the adapter will recognize both monitors for an extended display?

Thanks.

Hi there,
Essentially, the problem is because you have a splitter cable. All that cable is doing is splitting the signal that should be for one monitor onto two different monitors which is why you're only getting a clone display.
What you need is the DVI add-in card and a monitor that has a DVI connection to get extended monitor support for your system. To purchase a DVI add-in card, please call your local Dell Technical Support team and they'll be more than happy to assist.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 17th, 2012 10:00

Minecraft says it supports the Radeon 5450.

This specific card fits fine in all versions of Optiplex 745 EXCEPT the USFF.   The USFF has no slots.

The Single Slot 6670 only fits in the Mini Tower.  I recommend the 1 Gig Version due to Hypermemory stealing system Ram.

5450SLDI1GD3LP AMD Radeon HD 5450 1024MB DDR3 PCIe 2.1 x16 Video Card ASUS 5450SLDI1GD3LP AMD Radeon HD 5450 1024MB DDR3 PCIe 2.1 x16 Video Card

EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) Video Card Satisfy your Silent Demand of Home Entertainment with ASUS Radeon EAH5450 SILENT Video Card series - ASUS exclusive 0dB thermal solution can satisfy silent environment demand of home theater enjoyment - Gigantic 1GB DDR3 memory on board for better gaming performance and video resolution - Low profile design with low profile bracket bundled could fit end user's demand of mini PC.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2013 07:00

I have same issue,

Question I have, do I have uninstall 'Service Pack 3" ," Directx June 2010" and "Chipset Drivers" and then reinstall according to the your recommended sequence.

I recently updated the BIOS, tried use on board or DVi card, unable to resolve this issue..

I will be really thankful for your help.

5 Posts

November 3rd, 2013 09:00

I have same issue,

Question I have, do I have uninstall 'Service Pack 3" ," Directx June 2010" and "Chipset Drivers" and then reinstall according to the your recommended sequence.

I recently updated the BIOS, tried use on board or DVi card, unable to resolve this issue..

I will be really thankful for your help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 4th, 2013 06:00

No reason to unistall Service pack3.

Directx June 2010 does not have an uninstall its a one way trip.

Chipset should be done before trying any video or audio drivers.

Minecraft is not DELL software and not supported by Dell.

No Events found!