Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2004 22:00

Virtual Memory & Start Up Questions

Suddenly today when I tried to play a certain game, I got an error that said Virtual Memory was too low.  The game played fine just yesterday, and I don't know what I did inbetween to cause this to happen, or what I can do to stop it from happening.  It does not happen at start up.

Another thing that just started recently was that my computer does not finish start up unless you hit ctrl-alt-del.  If you don't do anything it will go to the Windows XP welcome page, and stay there indefinitely.  If you hit ctrl-alt-del, it will immediately finish the start up. 

I don't know how to fix either problem, can anybody help?

1.9K Posts

February 1st, 2004 15:00

Any chance your hard drive is nearly full (of data) with regard to your virtual memory message.....?

6 Posts

February 1st, 2004 16:00

No, I just received the computer (Dimension 4600) on Wednesday and haven't had a chance to put much on it.

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

February 1st, 2004 18:00

Your best bet, would be to contact the game vendor & see if any updates or patches are required

DageezerUS

12 Posts

February 1st, 2004 19:00

Elmekia,

You could try to change the settings for your Virtual Memory. Right-click on My Computer, choose Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. Click the Settings for Performance. You would have the Performance Options window. Click the Advanced tab.

Look for the area on Virtual Memory. Click on Change.

Change the minimum paging file size to the size of your main memory. Change the maximum size to thrice that of the minimum size.

Hope this helps... 

6 Posts

February 1st, 2004 20:00

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  It isn't a game issue, because I tried other games just in case and the same error came up.  I did try to change the virtual memory size, but that didn't work.  There is also a discrepancy on what my computer is telling me the virtual memory and paging file sizes are.  If I look one place, it says I have plenty.  If I look where you're saying to change the settings, it says the paging file is 0 mb. 

I've sent an email to technical support on the issue and I'm hoping for an answer soon.  I think this computer has set a record for the fastest a computer has ever messed up on me. :)

593 Posts

February 1st, 2004 21:00

It's not messed up.  It's perfectly normal for Windows to change your page file size.  Nothing's wrong and nothing will ever become wrong because of that message.

Now the startup issue you're having, I don't know what to tell you but that is definitly not right!

Message Edited by alevasseur14 on 02-01-2004 05:58 PM

593 Posts

February 1st, 2004 23:00

It is too bad that you are having the other problems.  I just wanted you to know that the paging file thing is completely normal and I don't think the two are related.  I'm sorry that I don't have the answer to your other problems.  I guess the only thing I can recommend is to reinstall Windows.  I know that you shouldn't have to do it with a new system, but it's kind of nice to get all the stuff you'll never use anyways off the system and start fresh.  It's also relatively easy to do.  If that's something you'd be interested in, there are many people on here with links to sites that walk you through the process.  Good luck!

6 Posts

February 1st, 2004 23:00

Messing up seems a perfectly fine word for certain programs, etc working one day and not the next.  I'm not saying it's permanent, or even serious.  But it's definitely an annoyance I didn't think I'd have to deal with three days into a purchase.  Changing page files might be a normal thing to happen, but is it normal for the computer to change it so that the computer works worse than before?   Or that you can't change it to fix the problem?  No settings we change 'stick'.

593 Posts

February 2nd, 2004 00:00

I'm glad that you got everything figured out.  Completely forgot about system restore.  My bad!  Good thing you didn't go overboard and reinstall Windows!

6 Posts

February 2nd, 2004 00:00

Thank you for the well wishes, I appreciate them. :)  I agree with you, I don't think the problems are really related, besides that they started at the same time.  To update, I did a system restore to Wednesday (the issues started on Friday) and everything appears to be working for now.  Right now I'm duplicating things I did on Friday, one by one, to see if I can figure out what caused the issue.  Since I know if I have to I can do a system restore again.  Then, if I can figure out what I did, I will hopefully figure out how not to do it again.

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 09:00

I've had to do that on my old computer.  ME had corrupted the hard drive so I bought Windows XP, but an error we couldn't fix kept happening.  I didn't want to spend a lot of money to bring it in again, so I would reinstall.  Had to do that five times in a month and a half, one time twice in a day.  Maybe I should have just spend the money to have someone look at it, but after that it stopped happening.

To make a long story short (too late, I know) I try to avoid the annoyance of reinstalling whenever possible.  And I didn't realize you kept your files after a system restore, it seems like an even better idea now than when I did it. :) 

It helps that I have a forum like this and tech support to answer my questions. Thanks.

No Events found!