Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2010 22:00

Vostro 200 Slim Won't Post. Is it a bad Power Supply or Motherboard?

I have a Vostro 200 Slim Tower  : Service tag removed per privacy policy >  that is only about a year and a half old and it will not start up or post for me. When I press the power button the processor fan spins constantly at full speed and that continues indefinitely. It just sits there and speeds at high speed but I get nothing on the screen.

-The LED on the Power Supply is solid green

-When I press the power button on the computer, the LED turns off and does not come back on. However the fan on the processor spins at full speed.

-The amber light on the motherboard is lit

-I have disconnected all peripherals and no change

I am thinking it is either a bad motherboard or power supply. I would be greatly appreciative of and input from someone who might know what is wrong with it.

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 26th, 2010 05:00

HERE is the Dell manual's troubleshooting section.  Look it over and see if anything correlates to what you are seeing.

If it's a power supply, the "S" models do not use a standard ATX power supply, they need a custom model.   However, if you have a standard ATX power supply you may be able to rig it up for testing, to eliminate the power supply.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 29th, 2010 14:00

nsdir

Is your Vostro 200, a Mini Tower, or is it the Slimline version?

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber or is it Off?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message?

Bev.

5 Posts

August 29th, 2010 14:00

Hello,

I have the same problem and also the same symptom on my vostro 200 that I have since 2 years.

Any help please?

Thank you.

Regards,

NS

5 Posts

August 30th, 2010 04:00

Hi Bev,

Thank you for your message.

My vostro 200 is a normal tour (anyway not slim). This is the dimensions of my vostro 200 :

height : 36 cm
depth : 41 cm
width : 17 cm

- When I press the power button, the processor fan spins constantly at full speed and that continues indefinitely.

- The power button led is steady Blue.

- In the begining of the issue, I hade many time a DELL screen of the startup, which is displayed with F2 for setup and F12 boutton for Boot order. Bit it was not possible to enter to the setup. Nothing happens when I press F2 or F12, the machine was not responding. In the meantime, I confirme that the keybord works fine.

- No beeps, no error message... nothing.

- I have disconnected all peripherals and no change.

- The power supply seems to works fine (I didn't try it on another machine), but the power supply on the back of the desktop is steady Green, the Fan, the dvd driver (I can open it) and all others peripherals are powered.

- I tried to unplug/replug the memory stick (i have 4 sticks with 1 Gb each), no change.

- I tried to unplug/replug motherboard battery, no change. I tried another motherbord battery without knowing his condition, but no change.

Any help please?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
NS

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 30th, 2010 08:00

nsdir

Is there a video card installed?

If there is, open the case and remove the card from the PCIe x16 slot and connect the monitor to the integrated VGA connector on the back panel, boot the system and see if this makes a difference.

No difference, then try the following, if you are comfortable working around computers:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and  power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor.

Bev.

5 Posts

August 30th, 2010 14:00

Hi Bev,

I have two video card, I tried to use the integrated VGA card with pci card unplugged, but no change.

I removed memory from the mothercard, no change.

I am not sure to undertand what do you mean about "...and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires...".

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

NS

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 30th, 2010 15:00

nsdir

"I am not sure to undertand what do you mean about "...and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires..."

It's to check the power supply, using a 'Jumper' between the Green and Black connectors of the 24-pin plug, allows the PSU to bypass the front panel on/off switch.

Jumping means you use a small lenght of thin wire, [or use a paper clip, bent into the shape of a "U" ] then pushing one end of it into the green wire pin and the other end into a black wire pin, touch the metal inside the plastic housing, to complete the circuit between the two.

Do not pull any wires out of the plug.

Bev.

5 Posts

August 31st, 2010 08:00

Hi Bev,

It seems a very special method to check if the PSU is working fine.

But I will try it this night. Il will let you know about the results.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

NSA

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 31st, 2010 09:00

nsdir

It's because, to check the motherboard for failure, you must have a 'Know' working power supply.

Bev.

5 Posts

September 1st, 2010 15:00

Hi Bev,

I followed the special procedure to test the PSU. The power supply's fan works and the HDD is powered ! Good to know this procedure.

I tried to unplug everything again, but no change. So, the motherboard or/and the processor seem to be died.

In order to test processor and motherboard, could you please advice me which processor and motherboard could be compatible for Vostro 200?

According to support.dell.com, my processor is: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E4600 (socket 775 LGA).

Can I take any "INTEL CORE 2 DUO" processor with socket 775 ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

NS

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 1st, 2010 16:00

nsdir

I would hold off, replacing/buying the processor, until the motherboard is replaced, as very few processors fail, unless there was a power surge. 

You need to buy another Dell Vostro 200 OEM motherboard, if you don't have a Dell warranty in effect, you either call Dell Spare Parts HERE, or go HERE

Bev.

No Events found!