Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2012 10:00

Vostro 470 - Need Win 7 32 bit drivers

I have just taken delivery of a couple Vostro 470 Win 7 64 bit PC. Because we are running some legacy programs in our office I need to convert these pc to run Win 7 32 bit OS. I am having difficulty finding 32 bit drivers for the Vostro 470. I found the network adapter driver on the Realtek site. However, the Intel driver analysis program cannot seem to find the correct 32 bit drivers for:

Network Controller

PCI Simple communications Controller

Universial Serial Bus USB Controller

Ideas anyone?

Thank you.

gc

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 17:00

Are you sure you really need to do this..??

If those legacy programs will run under Win 7 32-bit, they should also run under Win 7 64-bit.

By default, 32-bit applications are installed in the folder "Program Files (x86)" and 64-bit applications are installed in the folder "Program Files". Once they're installed, Windows 7 will know how to work with 32-bit software.

If they're really old apps written for XP and you have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate on the Vostro, you can install and run these apps in Windows XP mode. If you only have Windows 7 Home Premium on the Vostro, you can try running those apps in "Compatibility Mode".

That would be lots easier than trying to downgrade the OS to 32-bit.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 17:00

One more thing...

Keep in mind if you downgrade to 32-bit Win 7, you'll only be able to use a max of 4 GB of RAM (typically only 3.0 - 3.5 GB is accessible). Anything above 4 GB cannot be seen or used by any 32-bit version of Windows.

7 Posts

August 18th, 2012 21:00

I bought a Vostro 470 and contrary to what tech support said, got the machine and all the hardware top run in Windows 7 32 bit.  I used mostly DriverMax and Driver Genius to find all the drivers.  Download Driver Max and pay the $10 for the short use license and see if it will find all the drivers for you.  If it doesn't then proceed to use Driver Genius.

No Events found!