Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2009 19:00

What form factor of motherboard fits in a Dimension 4700 case?

Am wanting to replace my 4 year old Pentium 4 motherboard, processor and memory with either a Dual Core

or Quad Core parts....Have already upgraded the PS to 500 watts (from the 305 it came with)....Hard drive

is now a 250 GB, and Vid card is an Nvidia 8500 GT 512 MB....Was wanting to keep all the parts in the original

case and just exchange out the above mentioned ones...

Is the case an ATX, micro-ATX, etc...form factor or will I need to purchase a new case and just transfer

the guts....was trying to save some money and not buy a case if I didnt have to...

Thanks!

14.4K Posts

June 21st, 2009 19:00

The only mb that will fit is a Dell board. Dell mb and cases are propitiatory and matched to each other.

As old as your system is there really is not much you would really want to port over to another system except your harddrive(s) if they are SATA If they are IDE you will gain no benifit from them. The ram is also more than likely outdated and would probably not even match the newer systems rams requirements.

You best bet at this time is to either go the build your own or shop for a new rig.

7 Posts

June 21st, 2009 22:00

Thank you for the info! With this in mind I am planning on using the existing 500 watt PS, 250 GB SATA HD, DVD and CD Drives and

Nvidia 8500 GT Vid Card. Will get new case, motherboard, processor and RAM...As you can see I have made some improvements

over what the system originally came with...Have already found a Quad Core processor, 4 GB 1333 Mhz RAM and Intel Motherboard

for around $375....

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 08:00

A microATX board may fit, but the connections to the front panel are proprietary and undocumented and you'd have to rig them up yourself.

It's easier to buy a new case.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 14:00

jd_bray  

If you use a non-Dell motherboard, plan on buying a new retail copy of windows, Dell XP OEM windows reinstallation discs are tied to their BIOS and cannot be activated.   

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 15:00

jd_bray  

If you use a non-Dell motherboard, plan on buying a new retail copy of windows, Dell XP OEM windows reinstallation discs are tied to their BIOS and cannot be activated.   

Bev.

OEM versions of Windows are available at significant discounts. The caveats are that MS does not provide support and once activated they aren't supposed to be installed on any other machine.

No Events found!