Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2009 23:00

Windows 7 drivers for Inspiron 1720 not available

Don't tell me there are no new Windows 7 drivers for a Dell laptop that is less than 2 years old! What the [fill in explitive here]!

I took the jump an installed it anyway. So far it is working, more thanks to Microsoft than to Dell, I guess.

Still, on the off chance that I've looked in the wrong place: does anybody know where to find drivers and software for Inspiron 1720 hardware?

Thanks!

November 1st, 2009 01:00

I had the same problem on my 1721, there is little help out there, especially from Dell!

Anyway, go to the ATI website: http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/index.html

Download the Catalyst application and it will solve your problem, took me all week to find it but there you go.

The laptop has an ATI graphics card, mine is the 1250 version which is no longer supported, however the catalyst does some special Win7 driver.

Hope it works for you.

3 Posts

November 1st, 2009 12:00

Thanks for the replies. Yes, my 1720 has an integrated Intel graphics solution. Everything is working now, though. I thought there was an issue with the webcam, but that was software-related. The device manager shows all hardware without problems. Strangely, the Microsoft drivers all seem to be from 2006, which would indicate they're Vista drivers. Never mind as long as it functions. I'm quite happy with W7, by the way. It feels a lot quicker and smoother.

940 Posts

November 1st, 2009 12:00

The 1720 had the option for an integrated intel or a discrete nVidia 8400/8600. The 1721 had ATI.

I have been running Windows 7 since the Beta release and it now currently has the RC. I will be installing the retail release in the next week or so. I let windows install alll of the drivers that it could. I think the only driver that I had to install was for my 355 bluetooth and for that I used the Vista 64 driver.

1 Message

November 18th, 2009 18:00

Anyone found anything for the touch pad drivers? I can't find a driver that lets me use the scroll function?

12.7K Posts

November 18th, 2009 18:00

Anyone found anything for the touch pad drivers? I can't find a driver that lets me use the scroll function?

Did you try the Vista driver for that model?

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

10 Posts

December 6th, 2009 08:00

I think this is the driver that came with the 1720, but it I had tried downloading it again and it has the same bunch of problems. I downloaded a 3rd-party driver which fixed those problems, but it doesn't allow disabling tap-Enter which is flakey.

940 Posts

December 6th, 2009 09:00

I am using the Windows 7 ALPS driver from the Vostro 1720 and all features work correctly. Here is the driver LINK it is compatable with bot 32 and 64 bit.

10 Posts

December 6th, 2009 10:00

Thanks, dcgtls. I just download and installed that one and so far, no problems. The other driver was absolutely driving me crazy with the phantom tap-clicks, so you saved my sanity.

10 Posts

December 7th, 2009 08:00

Turns out that this driver still has one tiny glitch left. If the cursor is in a scrollable window and is left unmoved for at least 10 seconds, then when you move it up or down, the window will scroll -- or at least this is repeatable on my Inspiron 1720. Still, this is not nearly as bad as the original driver or the first replacement I tried.

1 Message

December 25th, 2009 15:00

How did you end up getting the software for the webcam to work? I have an Inspiron 1720 and the webcam and software works fine on Vista but won't open on W7.

1 Message

February 9th, 2010 19:00

So here is  my issue.  I installed Win 7 about 3 weeks ago after running the Upgrade Advisor first. At first I thought everything was working however my bluetooth connection no longer works and my blu-ray dvd burner reads discs but it will not burn anything.  Please help, how do I fix these issues?

4.6K Posts

February 9th, 2010 23:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

You should've started your own new thread for this - in the 'Laptop' section :emotion-55:

But since you've chosen to post in this thread, are we to assume you also have an Inspiron 1720?

What version of Windows 7 are you using - i.e. Home Premium 32bit, Pro 64bit or whatever?

Is your bluetooth card being recognised in Device Manager?  Did you install the bluetooth drivers yourself, or did Windows 7 install default drivers?

You'll just have to try the Vista 32bit drivers offered on the Inspiron 1720 'Drivers & Downloads' page.

But if you're using a 64bit version of Windows 7, it's unlikely they'll work - in which case you'll have to try and source compatible drivers elsewhere - i.e. the bluetooth card manufacturer's website?

It's probably a Broadcom card :emotion-55:

No Events found!