Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2009 21:00

XPS 410 Video Card Update

ok so ive been wanting replace my nvidia 8300 gs for a while now, and finally got around to purchaing an 8600gt.

i received it in the mail today a nd tried and tried to get my old card out but it just wont budge. there doesnt seem to be a single screw holding it in place, only the power connecter and a tab. ive disconnected the power connect and have tried moving this tab every which way to set it free so i can pull it out. but its just not happening. wont move an inch. does anyone have a 410 and know how to remove an old video card from it? because im stumped.

much appreciated. thanks.

935 Posts

January 11th, 2009 06:00

Did you check your owner's manual? Page 86 explains and shows you what all you need to do to replace a video card.
My guess is you missed the card retention door and didn't lift it out of the way. There are some blue tabs you squeeze to lift the door. Then you can move the tab in the back of the card out of the way and lift the card out of its slot.

3 Posts

January 11th, 2009 15:00

it doesnt look like i have a card retention door. i looked at the pictures in the online manual for the 410, and mine seems to have only one blue tab, and its showing two.

935 Posts

January 12th, 2009 03:00

You do have a card retention door. You need to swing it out of the way so you can pull your card out.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2009 07:00

yeah, sorry, i completely missed that when i looked before. but once i installed it, i tried booting up my system, and it no longer had video. any solution to that?

No Events found!