Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2011 20:00

XPS 600 Desktop diagnostic light #4 only

Windows VISTA Business 64-bit - Dell XPS 600, 3 x SATA hard drives, 1 SATA blue ray DVD, 2 IDE Optical drives (sometimes 1 IDE hard drives), 1 floppy, 2 x ATI Graphics Cards PCI express, Dell XPS 600  4 GB  Dual boot: Win XP Pro & Win VISTA Biz

Problem: Does not start. Diagnostic light #4 is the only one on.

This was a gradual development to this permanency of not starting.

When it acted up over the last year or more it would usually have a BSOD (I have the original STOP Error Codes and info if someone knows how to diagnose from them); sometimes it just would not see the boot drive but did see the others. I could never figure those out. As everyone on the internet notes: the troubleshooting - diagnostic lights in the manual does not have only #4 on.

I have done: unplug all cords from the motherboard, leave only the video card plugged in, leave only the boot drive plugged, try other drive.

What I found on the internet are different indications of what fixed a person's problem: replace the power supply, the motherboard or RAM. I tried each stick (4) and found no difference; kind of unlikely to have them all go bad - 2 were older 2 are new. I do not have a replacement ps or mobo ($300 to $500 to replace).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I really like the size and slots, bays, etc of this pc and would like to fix it but I do not think it is worth that much money since it's old. But I am kind of looking around for a good mobo and ps since I have a case I could use. Suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks for any help

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 27th, 2011 03:00

The diagnostic light combinations listed in the Dell manual  HERE<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>   does not show a light 4 only.

Do you get any beeps when you first power on, as there are also beep codes listed. Also, the status of the power light (color and solid or blinking) can also help in problem diagnosis.

3 Posts

February 27th, 2011 10:00

No beeps at all.

Power light stays on solid.

1 Message

May 21st, 2011 23:00

I would guess that when the power button light comes on solid, is it an amber light? I had one system that only had a solid amber light while the other had a flashing amber light. Dell's troubleshooting lights 1 thru 4 were no help at all. (1st suggestion). Open the case and look at the 2 large capacitors next to each other that run parallel to the memory slots on the motherboard. Your symptoms are identical to one of my 2 XPS 600 computers. I found that the capacitors that I have noted have split open on the silver cap end and appear burnt. Both of my XPS 600 systems failed with in 6 months of each other in 2010 and the same capacitors failed on both boards. Both systems are also out of warranty so Dell will not help. They offer no replacements or suggestions for repair. As for their special XPS 600 support Telephone Number while the systems were still in warranty, that was a joke. I would always get someone in India and very few had a good working knowledge about the XPS 600. Understanding the support people in India was another challenge.

I have since found a refurbished parts distributor that handles the Dell XPS 600 motherboard replacements for about $100.00 a piece. I have replaced both motherboards myself and installed a new CMOS battery in each board since the old batteries were better than 4 years old. Don't forget to get a good thermal paste for the processor when you mate the heat sink back to the processor on the replacement motherboard. Both systems are running great with the refurbished motherboards. The power supply was fine on both systems, but many people will suggest that you should change the power supply to. Not the case with either of my systems.

Dell Part Number GC375 was the earlier generation Motherboard, which used 533Mhz memory.

Dell Part Number XH241 was the later generation Motherboard, which used 667Mhz memory.

The XH241 Motherboard will work in either system. If you had the earlier GC375 Motherboard, then consider this an upgrade. Your old 533Mhz memory will work in the refurbished XH241 board if you choose not to upgrade the memory. I realize that these are old systems now, but for the replacement motherboard price I think it was worth the investment since these systems performed well for my needs and continue to do so.

If you do some research you will see that many motherboards including XPS 600's out there were manufactured with faulty capacitors. Dell will not admit this. They turned the other cheek and ignored their loyal customers. Pfftt!!! I use to brag about my Dell systems and the awesome support offered by Dell, but no more. I should have been more pessimistic when it took Dell 3 separate orders to deliver a working XPS 600 when I ordered my 1st gaming computer from them.

2 Posts

May 31st, 2011 10:00

I have a similar problem, but the amber light comes on and the fans start then everything shuts down?  Does this follow the problem indicators you mention for the bad caps, or should I look for a new power supply?

1 Message

July 12th, 2011 19:00

Could you share where you found the replacement boards? Mine just failed last week (4 blow capacitors by the 1st memory slot).

11 Posts

October 26th, 2011 22:00

My XPS system of about 'five years' has stopped working, with the #4 light only and 'solid amber power button' only (no fans, etc) for

maybe 7-10 seconds. I wait a minute, try again and the lights go out after 1-2 seconds. Haven't checked around memory and rest

of mb for leaking or blown caps. I was just bragging on these (I have two) XPS 600s never having a problem, to the Dish installer. I

really never had a problem "except the other indicates the mb battery is low... Or needs replacement. Glad I checked these forums

before I bought a replacement for what I suspicioned was a bad power supply. 

11 Posts

October 29th, 2011 12:00

I checked in my computer case and at least four capacitors are dead or dying. These are located next to and toward bottom of memory slot furthest from cpu. Also, there is a small donut looking thing with a couple wires wrapped around it among the four capacitors that has been very hot (scorching capacitors and motherboard 'top and bottom'). I do have the mb out of  case, identifying capacitors for replacement. Does anyone know what the 'donut' looking part is? If there were any numbers on it, they're not there now. This part got really hot.

I am still not ruling out a bad PSU, but this board, no doubt, needs attention first.

14.4K Posts

October 29th, 2011 15:00

The doughnut  looking part is an choke and unless you can find the actual schematic for the board it will be next to impossible to determine the value of it. You may be better of either replacing the board or getting a new system. I did a quick check on mother board replacements and they are not cheap, any where from 250  to 400.

November 7th, 2011 09:00

Im surprised (not) that any post relating to the flashing amber power button light or the indicator #4 only light has not been answered by Dell! Im pretty sure they know whats going on when the issue has existing across several xps platforms and for several YEARS.

1 Message

November 14th, 2011 04:00

I'm having the same problem.  Flashing amber and #4 light.  Though this isn't the first time it's happened.  I bought the system in 2005.  After spending hours on the phone with a guy in India, they replaced the motherboard.  This one has lasted 6 years and I'm having the same problem.

1 Message

December 26th, 2011 00:00

I have the same issue.  Powers on for 3-7 seconds, turns off.   #4 Diagnostic Light is on.   It is the motherboard capacitors as indicated above.  Some are blackened on the outside and cracked from over heating.   It lasted 6 years so it had a good run.  Debating on my next computer.     Thanks for the input everyone.

1 Message

January 20th, 2012 14:00

Another xps 600 bites the dust. I don't know if this will help anyone else, but this is the series of events when my xps 600 failed.   I've been happy with my system since 2007.  Since I spent so much $ on the original purchase, I should be happy! (around $2500 to $3000)   I've also had it on clean power - it runs on power supplied from a large APC UPS with  a huge battery, When it  failed the first several times, the CPU fans would come on full throttle, the  Blue decorative panel light in front would come on and then shut down after maybe 10 seconds.  After several attempts at booting, the front panel blue light didn't come on at all.  After several more attempts the CPU fans came on, but at a normal speed.   I didn't check the 4 front LED indicator  lights at first, but when I did it was just the 4th light that came on.  The actual power on-off  button would have an amber light that came on before turning off with the rest of the system.  The amber system light on the motherboard would be lit except when the power cord was removed.  It did not turn off when the rest of the system shut down.  I was never able to get to the point at booting where anything would show on the monitor.

After  doing my homework online with my ancient Dell 350, it sounded like the problem  may be the motherboard.  I took it into a local tigerdirect and paid to have them look at it and was told it was indeed failed capacitors on the motherboard.   and  since Dell apparently uses motherboards that are made specifically for them, only an exact replacement will work.  The only replacements are used motherboards which probably will have the same problem with the capacitors which are now 5 years old.  I was told that a capacitor should normally last at least 15 years.

I haven't decided what I'm going to replace it with.  Something with a Z68 motherboard. 

No Events found!