Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2015 15:00

XPS 8500 How to use GPU + onboard graphics for dual screens?

Hey, I don't know what else to do... I'm lost.

I bought an AMD Radeon HD 7570. I have two screens. I want to use one screen on the AMD card (HDMI), and one screen for internet and low processor utilities on the onboard graphics using vga serial cables. When I tried connecting both, I got a prompt before windows loaded, telling me I cannot connect both and that I should restart my pc with a single screen attached in the main AMD card. I tried tinkering in the BIOS but there seemed to be no option to enable the onboard graphics when the AMD card is inserted. My PSU is about 750W so it's good enough to support it.

Thank you!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 16th, 2015 16:00

* Disconnect monitor 2 from the XPS 8500
* Connect the monitor 1 to the center back integrated video card blue VGA port
* Turn on the XPS 8500 and monitor 1
* Make sure that monitor is working and you can see the windows desktop
* Restart the XPS 8500
* Press F2 at DELL logo page to enter System Setup
* Go to Advanced- Onboard Device Configuration
* Enable Multi-Display
* Press F10 to Save and Exit
* Once into Windows, connect monitor 2 to the discrete video card HDMI port
* Restart the XPS 8500

If that does not work, setup this way...

* Disconnect monitor 2 from the XPS 8500
* Connect the monitor 1 to the discrete video card
* Turn on the XPS 8500 and monitor 1
* Make sure that monitor is working and you can see the windows desktop
* Restart the XPS 8500
* Press F2 at DELL logo page to enter System Setup
* Go to Advanced- Onboard Device Configuration
* Enable Multi-Display
* Press F10 to Save and Exit
* Once into Windows, connect monitor 2 to the center back integrated video card blue VGA port
* Restart the XPS 8500

January 16th, 2015 16:00

Alright, I now connected the secondary monitor to the onboard graphics using HDMI to HDMI. It works. My Main display is connected to the AMD card, but the screen is not detected. So now I only see my secondary display to the onboard, but not the primary display to the AMD card. Any thoughts on how to display both?

What I see:

i.gyazo.com/abf8efde8a66a8041ba07032274a97d1.png

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 17th, 2015 15:00

So you enabled Multi-Display in the Bios. Turn the XPS 8700 off. Disconnect monitor 2 and the HDI cable from the XPS 8700 onboard HDMI port. Turn the XPS 8700 on using only one monitor 1 connected to the discrete AMD Radeon HD 7570. Make sure windows display and device manager list the specific AMD Radeon HD 7570 video card.

Turn monitor 2 on. Connect it to the already on XPS 8700 onboard HDMI port. What happens?

Turn monitor 2 off. Disconnect the HDMI cable from it and the XPS 8700. Connect a VGA cable to monitor 2 and the XPS 8700 VGA port. Turn monitor 2 on. What happens?

If none of this works, you will need to connect both monitors to the AMD Radeon HD 7570 and set the second monitor as extended.

No Events found!