Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2014 16:00

XPS 8700 - Adding a Second DVD Drive

I would like to add a second DVD Drive to my 8700 running Windows 7 64 Bit. I have been unable to find a Dell part number to do so. Has anyone purchased and installed a second DVD Drive? If so, make and model? Any issues with the installation? Thanks for any feedback.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 25th, 2014 19:00

dabjarnson

You need to buy a 5.25" SATA DVD/RW drive similar to the drive shown here;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

An 18" SATA data cable is required, there should be a spare SATA power cable/connector inside the case for a second optical drive.

One end of the SATA data cable is connected to the optical drive and the other to an open SATA connector located on the motherboard [page 13].

Two Hex Head M3 x 1/4-Inches Long Optical Drive Mounting PC Screws, are needed to install the drive in the bay.

The procedures for installing the drive can be found here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8700_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

How to remove the knockout in the 5.25" drive bay.

You can used the same instructions as given for the hard drive, on page 42.

Bev.

2.3K Posts

January 25th, 2014 18:00

Hi!  Any SATA compatable DVD Drive (or even bluray if you fancy) can be installed into your 8700.  There is nothing special about DVD drives anymore to cause worry.  Just make sure it is SATA compatable though (it will say on the box or website what interface it has). 

40 Posts

January 26th, 2014 09:00

dell part number, try # 318-0905. It is a 16XDVD+/-RW. It will fit an xps 8700 with ease, although it says it is for an OptiPlex mini-tower customer kit BCC.????? Don't ask me why, but that's what it says. That's what I put in mine, you can find cheaper or more expensive. $54.99+tax+shipping. I only bought one because I got free shipping and I had to have it right away. I'm going to put it in my old computer(the old drive crapped out), and probably put in a Plextor drive. Easy to install, just go by what shesagordie told you. It will be just fine. By the way, if any of these answers help you, please check off the box that asks if any of these replies solved your problem. Catsam

29 Posts

January 27th, 2014 16:00

Just a quick "Thanks" to all who have responded. I sincerely appreciate the help and guidance.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 27th, 2014 19:00

dabjarnson

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!