Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2010 15:00

Xps desktop 430

Hi there,

Recently my hard drive has failed i stupidly kept putting off saving a huge amount of music and photos onto an external hard drive, i was told that there maybe a way of trying to salvage some of the music from the old hard drive which i would like to do. Also i would like to upgrade and replace the hard drive and change to window's seven could some one advise me on a suitable upgrade. My other concern would be that the disc's etc that came with the computer will they still work with a new hard drive I confess i am not very technical so i would appreciate a simple answer

Trish

69 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 15:00

It depends on how FAILED it is?  Is it reccognized at all?  If not, no, you will not get anything off of it.  There are companies out there that will try to recover your files, but it is QUITE expensive.

If you have the original discs (OS), you should be able to load it to a new hard drive.

No way to tell you what to upgrade to.  I have no idea what your system specs are.  Processor, memory, video, etc.

Keep this in mind.  It's not IF your drive will die, just WHEN.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 23rd, 2010 16:00

Star 65

You could remove the hard drive from the XPS 430, then use an USB adaptor similar to THIS and attach the hard drive to a USB port of a working computer and see if you can recover the files and folders you need and transfer them to the computer.

You can install any currently available, 3.5", internal SATA, 7200rpm hard drive, for a replacement.

Check out the Seagate and Western Digital brands of hard drives.

Bev.

24 Posts

September 24th, 2010 14:00

Keep this in mind.  It's not IF your drive will die, just WHEN

good advice!!

24 Posts

Hi Bev,

Thanks for the advice, i'm not sure i'm brave enough to tackle this myself , but reassured at least that its not going to be difficult to sort out

:emotion-1:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Trish

You are welcome and good luck.

Bev.

No Events found!