Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2009 08:00

hard drive diagnostics error code 7

I'm  using Windows XP Media Edition. I'm getting a blue screen saying "unmountable boot volume."  After many attempts to re-boot and trying to boot to safe mode, I accessed the hard drive diagnostics by pressing "ctrl>alt>d at the Dell logo. The results of this said Drive 0:Failed Return Code: 7. (Drive 1, 2, and 3 says "No Device").  Does this mean my hard drive crashed and will have to be replaced?  The problem with installing a new hard drive is that I did not get a CD to re-install Windows XP with this computer.  Once I had to reformat hard drive C and Dell support emailed me something (can't remember what) so I could re-install the OS. However, I have a CD for Windows XP that goes with my Dell laptop.  Could that be used if I have to re-install a new hard drive? I guess my main question is "What does error code 7 mean - a crashed hard drive?"  Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 15th, 2009 08:00

You do need a new drive - the one you have has failed. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 11th, 2013 14:00

My system drive (C:\) is a small drive (80Gb) and it gets a Code 7 every time on an XPS Gen 4, but, it boots fine passes all over diagnostics, ChkDsk and any thing else that I can think of.  In addition, it boots up in Windows XP every time I ask it to.

Error Code 7 indicates the drive failed its self test and the hard drive is failing Keep your data backup current your 80gb as the hard drive is failing and you need to replace it. Bev.

3 Posts

December 11th, 2013 14:00

My system drive (C:\) is a small drive (80Gb) and it gets a Code 7 every time on an XPS Gen 4, but, it boots fine passes all over diagnostics, ChkDsk and any thing else that I can think of.  In addition, it boots up in Windows XP every time I ask it to.

3 Posts

December 11th, 2013 15:00

That drive has failed code 7 since I got it...  There were a lot of problems with deliver on what I ordered and so I tested everything.  But, you seem so sure on what a code 7 means, I will change the back up I have now to an image copy and start looking for another drive....  Better safe than sorry...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 11th, 2013 20:00

Quote 'Better safe than sorry'. I agree with that.

Bev.

No Events found!