Start a Conversation

Unsolved

NA

11 Posts

March 31st, 2022 06:00

ECS Bucket Visibility / How to give DataIQ access to buckets

By default, buckets in a namespace are only visible to the bucket owners, and this irks me.

Users can be given permission to access those buckets, but from what I've found, they can never list those buckets; this is annoying for data discovery when in a collaborative environment, we have many users in a namespace wanting to expose archive type data to their colleagues, but this configuration infuriates that ability.

I have recently decided to deploy DataIQ too and I am particularly confused about how this interacts with ECS. I would expect to setup a dataiquser for each namespace I wish to analyse and for it to have read-only access to everything, but from what I can see, to enumerate a bucket, DataIQ needs to have the credentials of the bucket owner, because it needs to own the bucket to list it.

Is there any way (ideally by bucket policy) to give users the ability to "see" buckets?

If not, is it a realistic ask to have this feature added in a future release?

• 

6.9K Posts

March 31st, 2022 15:00

Hello NBI-Adam,

Which version of ECS are you using?

11 Posts

April 1st, 2022 00:00

Hi Sam,

I'm running 3.6 with consideration to move to 3.7 shortly, why do you ask?

Is there potentially some method of doing what I am attempting?

Many Thanks,

Adam.

• 

6.9K Posts

April 4th, 2022 14:00

Hello Adam,

I was wanting to know the version as I was looking to see if what you were looking to do can be done.  I am not seeing a way to do this currently, but you can always as for a feature request and we may put it in a future release.

11 Posts

April 5th, 2022 01:00

Hi Sam,

Thank you so much for finding out that there is no way to do this currently, that confirms my suspicions. I would certainly like to raise this as a feature request please.

Many Thanks,

Adam

• 

6.9K Posts

April 5th, 2022 09:00

Hello Adam,

I can raise the request.  I just want to let you know that I am not sure of the lead time for a response from the development team for this as in most cases it can take a few months before I receive an answer.

11 Posts

April 5th, 2022 09:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for letting me know and for raising the request.

I'm happy to further detail the requirements if necessary, or do you think I've provided enough detail as is?

Many Thanks,

Adam.

• 

6.9K Posts

April 5th, 2022 16:00

Hello Adam,

If you want to send me any additional information you can do so in a private message and I can add it to the feature request.

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

May 30th, 2022 09:00

deleting ECS Bucket , will delete all underlying data ?

• 

6.9K Posts

May 31st, 2022 09:00

Hello Praveen Gajula _v4,

To delete a bucket, make sure the bucket is entirely empty. This not only includes current objects, also, if configured, versions and delete markers need to be deleted before you can remove that bucket from.  Here is a link to a kb that maybe of assistance as well. https://dell.to/3NkSfRX

No Events found!