Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2017 12:00

R620 Fans Running at Full Speed - No errors or reason why in OpenManage

I purchased five R620 servers from dellrefurbished.com. Two of them are working perfectly and three of them are booting up and running all of the fans at full speed (~16000 RPM).  It is very strange to me that three out of five servers are doing the identical thing and none of them show an error in OpenManage.

I have done a fair amount of troubleshooting on this issue.

I used the bootable ISO from the Dell support site for R620s to update ALL firmware in this server after I manually updated the Lifecycle controller first.

I reset the BIOS to factory defaults.

I tried a variety of System Profile settings including disabling C1.

I drained the flea power on the servers with the power cords disconnected.

I left one server unplugged for 24 hours.

I installed OpenManage to see if it thought the chassis was open but that doesn't seem to be the case either. I see entries in the Hardware Log when I open and close the chassis so it seems to be sensing that properly. There is nothing else that I see in OpenManage to indicate why this is happening.  Screenshots attached.

I removed some RAM from one of the servers to force it to re-profile the memory and system performance

Nothing has produced a positive result. EVERY time I boot these servers immediately following the memory test at POST the fans spin up to full speed and nothing I do gets them to stop.

These servers are just out of their initial 3 year warranty.  The dellrefurbished.com website says that they offer a 100 day warranty on their site and refer to it as the "Legendary Dell 100 day limited warranty".  When I called them for support they suggested that I return the servers for credit or post on this forum after asking some routine support questions.

I have already committed to delivering these servers to clients and I would really like to get them working without returning them to dellrefurbished.com for credit.  Is my only option to pay Dell to reinstate the warranty?  Is there an out of warranty option that makes sense.  If so, how do I get pricing on that?

The site that I purchased these servers from says that the Dell computers are "Refurbished to Dell Specifications".  Either they didn't actually test them or something weird is going on here.  Otherwise three recently refurbished servers wouldn't all be doing EXACTLY the same thing.  

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 Attachment

No Responses!
No Events found!