Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

December 18th, 2014 13:00

Dell Command Update - BIOS Password during BIOS Update

So I'm trying to run the Dell Command Update command line utility (dcu-cli.exe) silently. My machines have a BIOS password set. When the Command Update utility detects a BIOS update, it prompts the user for the BIOS password. I can't figure out anyway to automate this either in the policy file or with a switch. For the record, the command I'm trying is:

"%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /policy "DCU_BIOS.xml" /log "c:\delltest" /silent

Does anyone have any ideas to make this silent, other than removing the BIOS password?

Thanks

1 Message

October 1st, 2015 15:00

Has there been any progress on this? I too have this problem.

16 Posts

March 17th, 2016 11:00

This is still a problem.I worked around it by first clearing the password

cctk.exe --setuppwd= --valsetuppwd=%BIOSPASS%

Also another problem I encountered with the 7010 and A21 BIOS is the dcu-cli utility only tries to use to /s /l switches when doing the BIOS update (for instance O7010A21.exe /s /l=Update_DF2RM.log). This FAILS because the /r switch is also required. Even if I put

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /policy "dell_bios_update.xml" /log "C:\dell_bios_update-install" /silent /reboot

it still doesn't use the /r switch in the BIOS update portion, and therefore the update fails with exit code 1 (requires reboot), but doesn't actually install during a reboot. This is broken!

No Events found!