Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2012 07:00

Dell M4700 - OSD connecting to WMI

Anyone encountered problems with the M4700 when using OSD via SCCM 2007?

Part of our script retrieves the value Win32_BIOS from the WMI, but it appears on this machine it's unable to read it. this is the standard serial no. which on all other machines works fine.

Are dell due to release a new bios revision soon? or is a fix due to come out and address this issue?

Cheers,
Jack

6 Posts

September 14th, 2012 00:00

I think I have the same issue. I cant get any HW information from the M4700, in the SCCM resource explorer?!

1.1K Posts

September 14th, 2012 12:00

Please log a ticket with the Dell Technical Support team as they haven't heard of this issue yet.  Contact info below.

support.dell.com/.../contact_technical_support

16 Posts

October 1st, 2012 17:00

I've also just experienced this same issue - any progress?

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2012 02:00

Still in contact with Dell support, who told me to install the client Client configuration toolkit driver and retry - kindly explained that's like asking someone to clear their temporary internet files out if they can't PXE Boot a machine, but hey.

WIll keep you updated on any response i get

Jack

16 Posts

October 2nd, 2012 11:00

Thanks much. My situation is a bit different but issues are similar. I am using Dell Automated Deployment. Basically using lots of scripts to do the similar that you would do via SCCM. For some reason on this M4700, the same scripts that query wmi are failing. Injecting error handling in the script is more confusing - getting generic errors (autoit). It is interesting that these same scripts work fine in WinPE, just not in Win7. I've already reached out to my Dell contacts. I will post findings if they come back with anything useful.

16 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 08:00

An update. This issue is with the nVidia driver. The nVidia driver includes nvwmi that is breaking wmi. This is a known issue with Dell and thus far I've not been sucessful with a solution acceptable for our Enterprise.

3 Posts

October 4th, 2012 02:00

Thanks peopleman - i've confirmed the same too

Ran OSD with the Driver disabled (FYI The driver is named NVIDIA Quadro 5000M and Verison no. is 8.17.12.9687)

Installed all ok, and working fine - so something in this driver is breaking WMI. Dell - Please take note! :)

1.1K Posts

October 5th, 2012 08:00

Correct, the Nvidia driver is affecting WMI and causing the issue.  Since customers want the Nvidia functionality, turning off Nvidia Graphics isn't an acceptable solution as Peopleman pointed out.  We are working with Nvidia to get this addressed as quickly as possible.

16 Posts

October 5th, 2012 11:00

I have a resolution/workaround. Disabling the Optimus in the BIOS prevents the nVidia driver from breaking wmi. I will just script using CCT to modify the BIOS before injecting the driver.

1 Message

January 8th, 2013 07:00

A new NVidia driver was released to resolve the issue.  Please pull the latest driver from support.dell.com.

16 Posts

January 8th, 2013 08:00

Confirmed driver resolves the issue.

No Events found!