Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 8th, 2017 09:00

Driver Versions - CAB Report vs Actual

Should the driver versions listed in the CAB report be exactly what is in the .cab file? When I download, extract & import the drivers into SCCM the versions listed in the console do not match the cab report. I am specifically talking about the recent Optiplex 7040 Windows 10 drivers. However I have seen this with other models too so I'm finally looking for an explanation.

When I image a computer with this driver pack it is installing drivers that match the version(s) listed in the console. Running the Dell Command Update on the system afterwards, it detects and finds driver versions that should have been included in the CAB file (or at least according to the report).

I understand these cab files are not always updated the minute a new driver is available for a model, but the drivers I'm getting aren't even close to the recent version(s).

Am I missing something here?

29 Posts

June 5th, 2017 23:00

Hello Sirkoon,

1. The CAB report shows the version of the entire driver bundle. This driver bundle would include drivers for multiple devices of which only one is applicable to the device on 7040 that you have mentioned. So there might be version differences between the report (which is the bundle) and the individual driver component deployed/installed on the machine.
  2. The CABs have a specific development and test cycle which starts after a new driver is available on the web. Hence there would always be a slight difference (upwards of 1 month) in the drivers carried on the CAB and one available online.
  3. In DCU, we update the drivers/firmwares on our Catalog every 2 weeks - so this gets updated much faster and customers can do individual updates based on newer driver changes. But CABs would not change as frequently.

Regards,

Pramod R

8 Posts

May 8th, 2017 09:00

The CABs aren't really up to date to be honest. I wouldn't 100% rely on these. It's ok installing drivers however as noticed some of these aren't actually the ones listed in the report. 

No Events found!