Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2013 18:00

How to install Windows 7 on E6520?

Hi all; I'm in the position of installing an E6520 laptop from scratch. We put in a standard Win7 install disk, and right at the beginning of the install procedure, the installation stops with this message:

A required CD/DVD device driver is missing

and I'm prompted to install the driver. I've downloaded every driver I can find from the Dell site and burned them to a CD, but the laptop can't read the CD because (guess what) there's no driver.

Likewise, copying the driver onto a thumb drive and plugging it into the laptop gives no help, I'm guessing because the drivers for the thumb drive are also not present.

Any suggestions as to where to go from here? Do I need a Dell-specific install disk?

1 Message

April 2nd, 2013 06:00

Hi, I have a E6520 and have installed Windows 7 quite a few times on it without any issue.

Can I ask, are you using an OEM or MVL DVD? Is there anything special about the hardware in the E6520 (ie encrypted hdd)? Also you could try using a 4GB (min) USB drive to create install media from the DVD (www.joshcellsoftwares.com/.../WinUSBMaker.html) and try installing from that.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 00:00

Hi efalk,

Are you using Windows 7 Operating system disk? Please confirm if you are trying to install the retail version of windows 7 operating system or Dell OEM disk?

Click on the below link to install Operating system step by step:

Windows 7: http://dell.to/ho6Eq2

Also, install the drivers in the correct order.

For more information refer below link:

http://dell.to/KKYTyt

Awaiting your response!

3 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 11:00

It's the retail version of Windows, not the Dell OEM disk.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

April 4th, 2013 02:00

Hi efalk,

Ensure below settings are set in BIOS. Restart the computer and tap F2 on Dell logo.

Under “System configuration” select SATA Operation and change SATA Mode to AHCI Mode.

Now expand “General” and select “Boot Sequence “and enable UEFI and click on Apply at the bottom.

Win7-DVD should now boot.

Awaiting your response!

1 Rookie

• 

159 Posts

December 8th, 2017 03:00

Hi

Need to reinstall Win7 from scratch on a new disk for my Precision M4700 today.

The only installation disc I have is the DVD I burned at initial system launch back in 2012. Apparently it is a plain WIn7 SP1 disc, not the OEM because I get the symptom described above:"...and right at the beginning of the install procedure, the installation stops with this message:

A required CD/DVD device driver is missing"

BIOS is set to AHCI & UEFI.

How to I work around this ?

No Events found!