Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2003 08:00

Email access to forums

It would be nice if I received the text of a posting in my email if I am watching a forum as opposed to just a link to the thread and forum.

It would also be nice to reply to that message (or post a new message) by replying or sending an email to an alias.

I just want to update my first comment. I'm probably not going to watch any forums if I only see the link in an email. Any forum with any amount of traffic will just bring up too many notices that don't really tell me anything. I use mail rules now and drop messages from the appropriate group into a folder and I can read single messages and threads pretty easily. Now, I need to logon to get that and it will take me longer to decide what messages I can reply to.

Message was edited by: jrosler

217 Posts

July 30th, 2003 10:00

Good suggestion. I have modified the watch email to include the subject and message that was just posted.

We do have the e-mail integration on our list of improvements that we would like to inlcude.

Thanks for the suggestions.

217 Posts

July 30th, 2003 11:00

How does this look now?

I think I would add it to the watch email subject line if you could. For example, the watch email I got from you had "Thread "Email access to forums" has been updated by Wells Harter, Dianna" as the subject. If it had "Suggestions/Features-Re:Email access to forums" that would be better.

I think this way is better for a couple of reasons.
1. It's more readable. It tells me that I got a reply from the Suggestions/Features forum on the Email access to forums posting. Usually, I care about the forum and subject line before I care about anything else. Your subject line above tells me that you updated it, but I can get that information when I open the email.
2. I can easliy create a mail rule to find each of the forums by checking the subject line as opposed to looking through all of the body. This would make my rule more accurate.

Can you do that?

Thanks. That is much better.

Is it possible (easy) to also add the forum somewhere in the email? With yahoogroups (or other email lists), I create rules in my mail client to put each group in a separate folder. I'd like to do this with Documentum support forums as well, but don't see a forum identifier anywhere.

All of the mails appear to be from Documentum Support forums support@documentum.com which doesn't tell me a particular forum and the subject line will list the thread if it is a thread watch, but not the forum.

217 Posts

July 30th, 2003 12:00

How's this?

I like that. I don't think you need to append "has been updated" or whatever the correct verb is. You can find that out once the mail is opened.

This way I can more easily create rules to manage these messages.

1 Message

Just checking the posting format.

Dianna

217 Posts

Yes, it is possible; however, there are 4 diffent types of watches available (Category (General, Product, Migration/Upgrade), Forums (Suggestions/Features, Content Server, etc.), Thread (Email access to forums), and User (di)).

I'm just trying to figure out how to make them all distinguishing yet similar.

217 Posts

It does make it longer. I've removed it.

Looks good. I've got my rule working now.

What happens if I accidently reply to the watch message? I just tried that and haven't gotten a response, but I'm wondering if that screws up your support email processing since it goes to support@documentum.com.

You should send back some message that tells the person to click on the link and update the webapp directly. Otherwise someone might forget and try and post via a reply.

Message was edited by: jrosler

217 Posts

Just as an FYI (this is for those users that may read this later). The 4 possible beginnings to subject lines are "Category Watch - ", "Forum Watch - ", "Thread Watch - ", and "User Watch - " Then each message type is followed with "CategoryName: ForumName: ThreadName". (i.e. Forum Watch - General: Suggestions/Features: Email access to forums)

The support@documentum.com email alias is monitored. They will probably reply with a message asking you to post this on the forum. Once the forums get going we probably will change the from email alias to one that does an auto reply.

Message was edited by: di

2 Posts

August 4th, 2003 06:00

Would it be possible, similar to Yahoo, to get a daily digest of the topics of interest (i.e., that you are watching) vs. a bombardment of e-mails throughout the day?
No Events found!