Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 16th, 2017 09:00

Equal Logic PS6100E Valid firmwares for the drives themselves

I have an older array that I purchased from a defunct company.  A few of the drives have failed and I would like to replace a few of the failed drives.

I attempted with just the same model number and it reported that the drive was not supported now I am attempting to replace dell equallogic drives hower there now appears to be a F/W mismatch.  Any thoughts on what drive fw's will match with the equallogic PS6100E.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 16th, 2017 13:00

Hello, 

If you had support I would say upgrade the array firmware and see if that resolves it.  

One last suggestion.  Power off array.  Put in one of the drives, remove the active controller, then power on.  If that fails, shutdown, power off, try the other controller.  Make sure passive is removed. 

Regards,

Don 

7 Posts

Yes I understand and I purchased some additional ones that I think are Dell EqualLogic branded drives and they are not spinning up.  Notification is that they failed to spin up in 33 seconds, marking drive as failed.

Terry

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

You can not use off the shelf drives with EQL arrays.  They drive vendor creates custom imaged drives specific to EQL.  It has to be a Dell/Equallogic branded drive. 

There's no way to fix that either.  

Regards,

Don 

7 Posts

Interesting, I have just inserted two "new" drives in two different slots and they have both reported the same error.

However thanks for the information.

Terry

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

Failing to spin up is a common error on a failed drive, nothing to do with firmware revision.  If they are EQL drives then they have the minimum firmware needed anyways.  

If you have a spare currently remove that and put in one of the replacement drives.  See if it spins up then.  You could have a slot that's not responding correctly.  Though usually that symptom is the drive doesn't show up at all   If you don't have a spare then try both drives in the open slots.  

Finally you could try to failover to the other controller then insert the EQL labeled drives one at a time.  If you again get the "failed to spin up.." then I would be confident that they are in fact bad. 

Regards,

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

Sounds like you have old EQL firmware.  I would try the failover first then try the drives again. 

Regards,

Don

7 Posts

October 16th, 2017 10:00

Great call on the Failover.  However it is now stating that the drives are not approved.  So now I am back to my question with regards to which Drive Firmware's are supported in a PS6100E and I suspect that it will have to do with the Software installed on the EqualLogic 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 16th, 2017 11:00

Hello, 

What firmware is that array running?  The label on the drive should say Del/Equallogic. 

don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 16th, 2017 12:00

Hello, 

That's pretty old firmware.  Dec 2013.  I'm still on the side of those aren't authentic Dell/EQL drives. 

Don 

7 Posts

V7.0.1 is the firmware that is running.

Terry

7 Posts

I would tend to agree with you based upon all of the research that I have done however the sticker on the back very specifically states Dell EqualLogic

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Sorry didn't have better news. 

Don 

7 Posts

I was afraid that was going to be your response.

Thanks for you assistance!  Much appreciated

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 18th, 2017 09:00

Hello, 

If you don't plan on trying to get it back under warranty, there's a new option just getting underway.  A one-time warranty.  There's a fee, of course, and no H/W replacement. It would allow you to get access to current firmware.  Which in your case could resolve your issue.   

Just something to consider.  

Regards,

Don 

1 Message

March 5th, 2018 17:00

Were you able to solve this issue?  I'm having the same problem in a PS6210. 

No Events found!