Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

5 Posts

April 1st, 2019 03:00

EqualLogic PS4100X Controller Fault Lost Config

There were some issues with the disks (0VX8J) so we ordered from out of country and waited 2 weeks.Meanwhile we keep system running but moved all VMs to another NAS. But one VM could not moved for some reasons ; probably disk issues we had.

When drives arrived we just want to connect EqualLogic managemet screen to be sure which drives we should change first but we figured out that we can not open webgui. After a small search we figured that NICs are offline.We used Serial Connection to see what is going on and discovered that Controllers has lost all their configuration.

We removed disks from their sockets and hoping to find a solution to recover all configuration.

What is your suggestion ?

Current Config :
12 x SAS disks (0VX8J)
2 x J3V2N : Module,Enclosure,Assembly,D-CT L,2-FINGER (YM61N + NMJ7P)

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

April 1st, 2019 07:00

Hello, 

The array configuration information is not stored on the controllers.   No data or metadata is.  It is stored on the RAIDset itself to be more resilient against controller failures. 

Most likely the RAID set has faulted and the configuration information cannot be loaded. 

Power off the array and wait 5 minutes.  Install all the ORIGINAL drives, do not replace any of the failed ones. 

Power on the array and see if it boots up and login via the serial port. 

If not, the best suggestion is open a support case.  I suspect you don't have a contract, but you can open a one-time case for a fee.  They won't replace hardware but they can help you triage the problem.  If the drive or drives needed to restore the RAIDset are at least identified but not recoverable you could send them out to a recovery service. 

What RAID level are you using?   Do you know the firmware revision? 

Regards, 

Don 

5 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 09:00

I am using Raid 5 with 12 disks.

Firmware rev : 5.2.1 (R219658)

I closed and opened it as like as you said but controllers lost everything I think. Cause NICs gone offline and I can only use serial port to login management. When I logged in from management it asks me to run setup before executing management commands.

I choosed NO for not destroying anything left for rescuing remains.

I need to know something if it is possible recover somehow everything gone or should I run setup wizard to recover my arrays. Cause when I run command "alerts show" it says "It appears that the storage array has not been configured."

Now I am doing everthing with all disks unplugged.

Also one more detail , controller's lights are normal and controller 0 is active however all Etherneports are passive.Todat Controller 0- eth0 become active but still unreachable from old management IP.

If it is possible to recover all array and config somehow I want to try otherwise should I reset ?

Best regards

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2019 12:00

Hello, 

Again, without the disks installed there is NO configuration.  The controllers just boot the OS and start up the RAID. 

If they array fails to boot, the network will always be down.  That is expected. 

So you need to have all the drives installed.  Power off the array.  Have just one controller installed. Power up array.  Connect to the serial port and see if it booted up.  It should display the GroupName.   If it says CLI>  then it did not boot up properly.  Power off.  Put the other controller in and power up.  Login in via serial port and check again. 

Again I cannot suggest strongly enough to open a case.  With RAID5 especially, the last failed disk must be identified.  If a drive recovery is need, that's the critical drive that must be cloned. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!