Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 20th, 2020 12:00

Equallogic storage options - PS6200xv plus PS5000xv

Hi All

At the moment I have 3 x PS6200 XV SAS units and they are working well, I have some older none supported PS5000xv units - my question is can I take the drives out of the and put them in a supportable SAN unit - if so which one - or is it just not worth the hassle?  It seems a shame to waste the 2 x PS5000 units as the drives are in good useable condition.

Thanks

Eric

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 20th, 2020 16:00

Hello, 

No.  If you have a contract on the 6210's that will void them.  You can't swap parts around arrays.  Especially in this case as those older drives weren't qualified for the 6210.  The PS5000 was the first "Dell" model of the Equallogic SAN. 

My suggestion is set up the PS5000's in their own group.  Run RAID6 and use them for non-critical storage though still back them up.  Some will tell you later it was critical data.    

Some customers I've worked with have used host based replication to use these older units as additional backup of most critical data and use host replication during the day almost like a mirror.  (E.g.livesync or rsync, Vmware Replication, etc)   

Regards, 

Don 

73 Posts

June 26th, 2020 02:00

Thanks Don, I was hoping to be able to add them into the pool.  The Java on the PS5000 constantly causes problems and reports security issues every time it is launched.  I may use your suggestion at our DR site for backup storage.

Regards

Eric

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 26th, 2020 05:00

Hello, 

Glad I could help! 

I use the CLI more than GUI frankly I find it easier and faster.  

Better to create it as a DR solution.  Especially since the PS5000 won't run current firmware and you can mix them in same group.  

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!