Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2009 22:00

How to setup the Management ports on Equallogic 4000E array ?

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can clarify the setup of Management ports on EQL 4000E dual controller modules.
I want to connect the Management Port on both the controller modules to our separate 'management vLAN', that reside on our company LAN.

But I can't figure out if I need to organise two IP's for the two management ports (one on each controller) ?

Or as only one controller is active at a time. I should use the management port on the active controller, get an IP for it and then the EQL array takes care of the rest. ?

In case of one controller failure, does the second controller then take over the management IP of the first controller ?

Appreciate your assistance.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

October 19th, 2009 08:00

You only need 1 IP for the management port. Only 1 controller is active at any time. When the other takes over (failure, reboot, other reason), it uses the same MAC and IP of the first controller.

To set this IP, you can open the group manager web interface via the group IP (this would require a system with a graphical user interface and a java-enabled webbrowser on the iSCSI VLAN(s)/switch(es)), or you can go in via the serial cable and use the commands from the Command Line Interface (CLI) guide that's available from the Equallogic site.

14 Posts

October 19th, 2009 14:00

thanks for clarifying the management IP setup. Can I decide which controller get to be the active one or is there a preference on setting Left-hand side or Right-hand side controller the active one ?

appreciate it.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

October 19th, 2009 15:00

There is no difference which is the active controller, so you cannot set a preference as such from what I've seen. If you did want to fail over, you can go to the member, and then the service tab and there's a restart option. This will trigger a failover (to the other raid controller).

24 Posts

November 18th, 2009 12:00

Could you elaborate on using the CLI to configure the management port on the 4000e? I have a new unit out of box and I want to connect it to separate management network but the when I log in to the CLI it runs the setup program that wants to put an IP on ETH0 which is not the management port. I cant seem to find anything in the CLI as to how to program the management IP address.

Thanks!!

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

November 19th, 2009 08:00

Go through the setup (to configure eth0), and then check the "tree" command to get an idea how to set the IP for eth2.

Off my head I think the commands would be:

- member select membername eth select 2 ipaddress ipaddress_on_your_LAN \ netmask your_subnetmask

- member select membername eth select 2 up

24 Posts

December 10th, 2009 11:00

Hey...I never got to thank you, but those commands above worked and I was able to configure the management port with no issues.

Thanks for your help!!

No Events found!