Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

139 Posts

May 29th, 2018 09:00

PS4100 in RAID 6 with 3 disk drives failed

This morning i had to power on our hardware due to a controlled power outage of all power on the campus.  The equipment was powered down last week.

When the 4100 came back up, it is showing 3 drives as failed.

RAID status shows as "degraded"

I have three volumes carved out as datastores and attached to 2 ESXi 6.0 Servers via iSCSI.

From vCenter, I can still see the datastores  and access the VMs that reside on the three volumes.

With 3 failed drives in RAID 6, how is this possible?

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

May 29th, 2018 13:00

Hello,

That's because you are running RAID6 with one space.  So two drives in the RAIDset failed as did the spare.

Sounds like you are running older EQL and drive firmware. 

I would not stress that system unless you have a verified backup (or two). 

I suspect that array is no longer under support contract?   If not, then you will need to find a 3rd party reseller who has EQL drives that match yours.  Standard OEM, or generic Dell drives will not work with EQL arrays.

Regards,

Don

139 Posts

May 30th, 2018 09:00

I though I updated the firmware last year, but need to check.

We have a vendor as we have purchased and replaced 4 drives already.  I believe the original drives are beginning to fail

This is a test system and have moved the critical VMs off to another SAN. 

Once I order the new drives, do i just pull the 3 failed drives an plug in the new drives?

thanks

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

May 31st, 2018 08:00

Hello,

re: Drives. I would start with one see how the rebuild progresses and then add the next one.  The last drive will be the spare of course.

In addition to array firmware, Dell releases firmware upgrades for drives as well.  Both firmware updates are only available if you have a support contract in place. 

Regards,

Don

139 Posts

June 5th, 2018 05:00

thanks,,,

Unfortunately,  we don't have a support contact but i can get to https://eqlsupport.dell.com to download firmware.

I just need the process to update.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 6th, 2018 07:00

Hello,

If you still have access to the support website you can download the firmware update instructions in the same page as the firmware updates.

Regards,

Don

139 Posts

June 7th, 2018 05:00

Questions

I see at the support site, Dell recommends Storage Update Manager for updating firmware.
We are using EqualLogic Group Manager. Can this be used?

We are at version 5.1.2 on the controller firmware.
Current looks to be 10.0.
Is there a recommended process to get from 5.1.2 to 10.0?

We also have disk drives showing different REVs
CE0B, CN04, FN65.
The drives are model ST9300605SS but I am not sure of the manufacturer.
The Dell support site has “Recommended PS Series Hard Disk Drive Firmware” – 11.0
I can’t tell from the “Drive Firmware Update Utility” if this is ok to use on all of the
drives or only certain ones and if I should use Group Manager?

thanks

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 7th, 2018 10:00

Hello,

While you still have access to the website, do you have other arrays under contract? 

When you download the firmware you have to acknowledge the EULA.  Which says this must be used on an array under contract.  Same goes for the other software available there.

V10.0.1 Firmware (zip) Release Date: 5/29/2018
PS Series Firmware v10.0.1

By clicking on Accept you indicate your understanding and acceptance of these terms.  See Dell End User License Agreement for further details on your legal and regulatory compliance responsibilities.

• I am not a citizen, national or resident of, and am not under the control of, the government of: Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Libya, North Korea, Syria, nor any other country to which the United States has prohibited export.
  • I will not download or otherwise export or re-export the Programs, directly or indirectly, to the above mentioned countries nor to citizens, nationals or residents of those countries. 
  • I am not listed on the United States Department of Treasury lists of Specially Designated Nationals, Specially Designated Terrorists, and Specially Designated Narcotics Traffickers, nor am I listed on the United States Department of Commerce Table of Denial Orders.
  • I will not download or otherwise export or re-export the Programs, directly or indirectly, to persons on the above mentioned lists.
  • I will not use the Programs for, and will not allow the Programs to be used for, any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, for the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons of mass destruction.
  • I am downloading firmware for a system that is entitled under warranty or a service contract.

This software was exported from the United States in accordance with the Export Administration Regulations.  Diversion contrary to U.S law is prohibited.

By clicking on Accept you indicate your understanding and acceptance of the below conditions and of the Dell End User License Agreement (EULA) terms. The EULA may be reviewed or downloaded by accessing the following: Dell End User License Agreement

Regards,

Don

139 Posts

June 11th, 2018 04:00

Our organization has many Dell Systems, so I am assuming we have support.

How do you know if drives need firmware updates based on what i posted ?

Do you update drive firmware first or controller firmware?

Is there an incremental process to go from v5 all the way to v10 of the firmware?

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 11th, 2018 07:00

Hello,

In this thread you mentioned that you "have a vendor" that you bought replacement drives from.  This made me think that this particular array is no longer under support.  If that is true, then you do not have the license to install the updated firmware, nor update the drive firmware either.

I don't know that you need a drive firmware upgrade, but the process is simple and the kit will update all the drives that require it or skip the ones that don't.

Regards,

Don

No Events found!