Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2014 06:00

PS5000 lost controller

I've had a PS5000(I think E, it has SATA drives) for 5 or so years. It is now EOL. It has been running v3.3.3 firmware and was solely storage for vmware. It has been replaced and I was going to get it on the newest firmware possible and use it for ancillary storage. I had some trouble and decided to reboot the unit. Now the controller in Slot 0 is no longer recognized. I've tried removing it and re-installing, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I've considered swapping the controllers and slots to see if it a problem with the controller itself or maybe the slot. I don't want to update the firmware until both controllers are online. Any ideas on how to bring the other controller online? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 21st, 2014 08:00

You would have to hook up a serial port cable to that CM to see why it's failing.   Being that old, it could be a failed compact flash card.  

13 Posts

August 22nd, 2014 07:00

I get nothing from the console port. I also tried swapping the modules/slots and I still only get one online. Any thoughts on reviving my dead controller? Should I try replacing the compact flash card? Could I then flash an update to get the OS loaded? Or should I try purchasing a new/used controller?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2014 10:00

Yes, try to find something as close to that as possible.   But I'm not convinced it's the CF if you don't get anything when you plug in the CM.   I would have the serial cable connected, then plug in the CM.  See if you even get a power up message.   Which comes from the on board code of the CM, not the CF.  If you don't see anyting,  swapping out the CF probably won't help you.   That CM would have to be replaced.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

What kind of cable did you use?   A cisco serial cable for example won't work. Cisco uses not standard   configuration.  make sure it works on the good controller first.   9600 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, NO FLOWCONTROL.   No Xon/Xoff or physical flowcontrol on that serial port.   If using a laptop, make sure laptop and EQL are plugged into same ground.  I've seen that mess up serial ports.

Yes, you can try swapping out the CF cards.  It it boots then duplicate that CF onto a new one and you should be all set.

13 Posts

Not a cisco cable. Not exactly sure, it was one I found in the server room (don't remember what equipment it came with). BUT, since it worked fine on one controller and I got input immediately after connecting, I'm assuming everything with my serial/laptop/terminal is configured correctly. Just nothing from the "dead" controller.

If I have to replace the CF card, what size/type should I get? I guess I should just try to find a matching one to the dead one?

13 Posts

August 26th, 2014 06:00

Well, nothing happened. I guess my CM is dead.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 26th, 2014 10:00

Sorry about that.   You could try removing the memory, cleaning the contacts then re-insert.

13 Posts

September 10th, 2014 07:00

Cleaning the contacts for the Control Module? I'll give that a shot....

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 10th, 2014 09:00

Specifically, the RAM on the controller module.  

1 Message

September 22nd, 2014 06:00

I had the same issue with our PS5000E during a firmware upgrade (4.1.4 > 4.3.8). The first message was the same as you have. After restarting the unit for the second time, the controller was seen again. After the reboot the battery status and NVRAM battery where in error (empty/faulty don't remember the exact message). After waiting for some time, the battery and NVRAM came back to good.

I guess it's because that was the secondary controller.

Hope it helps

No Events found!