Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2017 04:00

Shut down members in a pool

Hello,

Next week we're going to upgrade switches where our Equallogics are connected to so they need to be shutdown. I'd like to ask you few things about shutdown procedure of Equalogic members in a pool. I know that first I need to disconnect all iSCSI connections initiated by the hosts and then shut down and power off each member but...

Do I have to manually offline all the volumes in a pool before shutting down members or they will automatically set to offline after first member shutdown?

Should I shut down then power on each member in a specific order?

Does group leader matter? It should be turned off then power on last or first?

Thank you for the answers in advance!

Best regards,
Damian

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 10th, 2017 07:00

Hello Damian, 

Once you have shutdown your servers, you then want to issue the shutdown command on each EQL array.  I personally prefer the serial port since you can monitor the progress and you will get a confirmation message indicating that member is completely shutdown.  If you use the GUI or SSH to do that, wait at least five minutes before actually powering off the array.  The order that's done doesn't matter,  doing Group Lead first or last makes no difference. 

Regards,

Don 

2 Posts

February 10th, 2017 10:00

Thank you Don for the quick answer!

To make sure - will volumes be set to offline (or maybe other state?) after first member in a pool shutdown?

And last question - should I wait for a completely turned off one member then shut down and power off another or can I shut down them all at one time and then power off?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 10th, 2017 16:00

Hello, 

You are very welcome. 

When the first member is shutdown, all volumes in common with that member will go offline.  But that's not really important since you have already shutdown the servers, so there will be no iSCSI sessions anymore. 

You can issue the shutdown command to all members at same time then power them off at same time if you wish.  There's no proper order. 

Regards,

Don 

No Events found!