Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 11th, 2013 02:00

SyncRep between SAS and SATA pools

Hi,

I know this works as I have configured it. Won't the performance of the SAS volumes be affected by the SATA. I know the write isn't acknowledged until the the page is in both pools but as the SATA array is slower what will happen. I guess latency will increase?

9.3K Posts

January 13th, 2013 19:00

IOPS wise it could be close (partially does depend on if you have 12 or 24 15k drives in that 6100XV), but seek time wise that SATA drives would still slow you down.

When doing Synchronous replication (from any SAN vendor) you really want the same raid type, same drives, same number of drives or your performance will be that of the slowest raid and drive type.

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

January 11th, 2013 06:00

I think this link will help in understanding the performance requirements: www.dellstorage.com/.../DownloadAsset.aspx

There would be some calculated latency, as in "depending on the I/O".

-joe

127 Posts

January 12th, 2013 13:00

to clarify the hard truth: syncrep from sas (primary) to sata will pull the sas performance down to sata performance (raid level not covered in this example). this is because the primary will wait till the syncrep mirror acknowledges.

regards,

joerg

37 Posts

January 13th, 2013 12:00

Thanks Joerg,

I guessed as much.

The design has 3x PS5000 SATA arrays in RAID50. in the SyncRep pool and 1x PS6100xv in RAID50 in the default pool.

I was hoping this would balance things out a little.

No Events found!