Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 15th, 2017 06:00

VSS-Control Volume error

We have an Equallogic PS6110 that is being used by two clustered SQL servers, running 2012 R2.  I'm seeing a lot of "iSCSI login error 0x490 when connecting to vss-control volume for group xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", when I look on the GM, this isn't configured for any access.  I didn't set these up so I'm not sure why this is the case.  However these servers are also being backed up by a different backup solution, so I'm a little leery of fixing this by enabling access on the SAN.  Is there anyway in the Auto-Snap manager I can keep it from trying to access the VDS/VSS on the san?  Or would I be better off to just enable basic access and see what happens?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 15th, 2017 06:00

Hello, 

Any servers using ASM need to have access to the VSS control volume in order to function properly.  That's the entire purpose of the vss-control volume.  VSS, Volume Shadow Service uses that volume to send commands and get back information from the array.  

Your backup software might support off host backups, which would also require  the vss-control.  You would need to check with your backup vendor. 

If it doesn't then you want to disable the VSS hardware provider that the EQL HIT/ME software provides before running backups.   eqlvss /unregister   then eqlvss /register to re-enable.   This why when you use ASM to create snapshots, you get the consistent snapshot/replica on EQL,  but when running backups it will use the on disk hidden snapshot that VSS provides when there's no H/W provider available. 

Regards,

Don

No Events found!