Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

4 Posts

December 10th, 2019 00:00

equallogic ps5000 fault and then lost config

Hello,

So, I'm trying to restore this equallogic single member array.  So initially, something seemed to be up with the array it was very slow many CRC errors during data retrieval.  I tried to grab some of the files before it was too late and then the array just restarted and never came back up.  I found a cpu fault in the log.  Anyway, when the array booted back up I connected a serial cable and it reported that it had no config.  None of the drives are reporting errors the controllers seem fine but just no config.  I tried powering it off and then back on.  Same result.  I tried powering it off and back on with the primary controller unplugged. Same result.  I tried restarting it with both controllers inserted and its still the same.  Is there some other things I can try?   Should I try shutting it down cleanly?  It's out of warranty so a support call would be expensive and im not sure if its worth it.  I'll do it if they can do something that I can't...?

13 Posts

December 10th, 2019 05:00

Data is in dangeor. Most probably it is hardware multiple failures. To be safe , start checking HDDs under any pc (strictly without any initialization). Check Smart parametres. In case if you have spare drives, clone original ones into them (to have a original HDDs backups) .

4 Posts

December 10th, 2019 09:00

Indeed, just to clarify, the data is inaccessible now.  I can't think of any way to access it, if I run the setup function, I suspect that resets the array and there doesn't seem to be anything else that you can do. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

December 10th, 2019 13:00

Hello, 

Re: Setup. Correct. If you run setup it will try to wipe out the drives. 

Most likely something has prevented the configuration from being retrieved from the RAIDset. 

If the data has any value then opening a one time support call would be your best option. 

If for example the drives are fine but an internal DB is bad then it will never complete the boot up process.  So cloning the drives wouldn't help resolve your issue. 

Regards,

Don 

13 Posts

December 10th, 2019 13:00

There is an alternative ways to access data. We do that using specific software and analysing meta-data in each particular case. For example, I need just access to individual disks to be connected to any normal desktop pc with HBA controller. Disks should be in healthy condition or thier clones or byte-to-byte file-images

4 Posts

December 16th, 2019 10:00

Contacted Dell.  They didn't seem to have a way to repair the config db the firmware might be too old.  Going with an outside vendor I guess. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

December 17th, 2019 05:00

Hello, 

That doesn't sound quite correct.  If the DB had to be repaired the firmware version wouldn't really matter.  What did they say about the health of the RAIDset itself?   

Regards,

Don

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

December 17th, 2019 07:00

Hello, 

OK please let me know how it goes.  I am very curious 

Regards,

Don 

4 Posts

December 17th, 2019 07:00

Well at some point in later firmware (we're talking 2013) they added a db repair option to the "dbtool" command.   I don't know how well it works but I think thats what they were referring to.  At the end they were confused because they thought they got past the issue that the config was lost but they hadn't and tried to blame the controllers which admittedly are trying to die but I can't in good conscience put a new controller in their knowing it would not have any ability to load that DB. All the drives are now in the hands of a data recovery company at this time I was somewhat forced to give up on my troubleshooting. 

Raidset is perfectly healthy:  # raidtool
Driver Status: Ok
RAID LUN 0 Ok.
14 Drives (0,7,1,15,2,10,3,11,4,12,5,13,6,14)
RAID 50 (64KB sectPerSU)
Capacity 2,880,643,006,464 bytes
Available Drives List: 9

13 Posts

December 17th, 2019 08:00

I wonder in which DataRecovery company your storage  is? Not many of them can handle Equallogics.  Can they share with you db file, i would probably can have a loot at it. I can give you offset addresses where it is located on the drives, if you want.

No Events found!