Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2013 02:00

shadow copy on eql volume

Hi,

We have a volume on our PS5000 that is MS iSCSI attached to a Windows 2003 UDS Server. This volume (4TB) is a file share to users using NFS. We are taking snapshots on this volume every hour during day and preserving one snapshot for every week a couple of months back in time.
We take snapshots this frequently so that we can recover files/folders that users accidentally delete and with the most recent changes possible.

As you understand the snapshot space is taking ALOT of the storage capacity. So I was thinking of enabling shadow copies on this volume to address the instant recovery of files. As I undesrtand the space that shadow copy use for this is not that big so this could be our saver because I can then just reduce the amount of hourly snapshots. 

So my question is if there are any issues enabling shadow copy on a windows volume residing on eql.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

July 5th, 2013 06:00

Regarding shadow copy, yes it works, there isn't a difference if the volume is a local disk or presented to the server from the array (via the iSCSI initiator).

The Microsoft shadow-copy repository is a file, it does occupy space on your volume, and might cause your volume to use data faster than you expect. So, this can affect the size of snapshots and replications jobs.

It is recommended to create a new volume to hold the MS shadow copies for the server disks (local and iSCSI-based), and connect to it on your server.

-joe

No Events found!