Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2014 11:00

should I stack switches

hi there,

I was wondering if dell consider it best practise to stack iscsi switches (e.g. 6224) or to keep them separate with aggregated uplinks.

Chers,

Huw

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 17th, 2014 16:00

Stacking is better than trunking.  Less overhead, lower latency, higher throughput.  

Also make sure you have latest firmware for the 6224.  If using Jumbo Frames move the iSCSI ports to their own VLAN.  (Server and EQL array ports).   Set MTU size to 9216.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

January 19th, 2014 21:00

One benefit of trunking though is the ability to do firmware upgrades 1 switch at a time. With a stack, you will need 100% downtime on the whole iSCSI environment when you do a switch firmware upgrade.

You can upgrade your Equallogic firmware without downtime (if you set up your environment properly (specifically the hosts), you can update your hosts 1 host at a time and assuming you run a cluster of some sort, this also doesn't mean downtime for your end users... but a switch stack would require 100% downtime if you want to upgrade the firmware.

124 Posts

January 20th, 2014 01:00

Thanks for both of your answers.

"Stacking is better than trunking.  Less overhead, lower latency, higher throughput"

Can you expand on "less overhead" as I'm not sure what you mean on this?

I've been searching but I can't find a clear recommendation from dell on whether to using stacking cables or not.

Thanks again,

H

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 20th, 2014 05:00

Re: Overhead.  When you bond, the switch CPU has more work to do, dealing with spanning tree and moving traffic across the various ports.  The load goes up the more ports you trunk..

7 Posts

August 21st, 2018 00:00

Will there be any issue if our iSCSI switches are neither stack nor trunk? But just two isolated switches for HA?

When rebooting EQL for firmware update or switching of ports, I do notice that passive ports on EQL could become active to take over a previously active ports. Could this resulted in one iSCSI switch having 75% or even 100% of the active iSCSI paths while the other switch has only 25% or none at all?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

August 21st, 2018 11:00

Hello,

No, that will not work.  For EQL SANs the switches must either be stacked or trunked together.  The array will use any available port to reach any server port. 

Regards,

don

No Events found!