Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2013 09:00

Ask the Expert: All about what's new with VMAX in Q2 2013.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: VMAX All Flash – Extreme Performance at Petabyte Scale, and Best Practices

Ask the Expert: VMAX3 New Features, Best Practices, Trouble-Shooting Tips

https://community.emc.com/thread/177118

Learn what’s new with VMAX in Q2 2013

EMC VMAX is the world’s most powerful, trusted, and smart storage, providing over 5-nines availability for mission-critical applications and software-defined data centers   Learn about new features that make VMAX more trusted, faster, and easier to manage in a software-defined storage environment.

This discussion begins on Tuesday, April  30 at 12 pm EST. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for email notifications. The thread will be open and moderated through May 14th.

Your hosts:

Matt_Easter_Ate.jpg

Matty1918

Matt Acord has been in the IT business for 14 years, 9 of those with EMC. Sincehe joined aEMC he has  worked in the PSE lab and was one of the SRDF/A SMEs in the lab and Tech Support. In ESD Matt worked with Tier I partners in configuring their frames, migrating data and keeping them up to date with new EMC technologies. Matt is currently a Senior Corporate Systems Engineer where he focuses on hardware for all the VMAX families and D@RE.

paul+lorusso_90x113.jpg

PaulDLorusso

Paul Lorusso is a principle product manager on the VMAX hardware platform product management team. He has previous design engineering, engineering management, and product and program management experience from Digital Equipment Corporation, Compaq Computer, and Hewlett-Packard. Paul holds a BSME from Northeastern University and an MBA from Babson College.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 13th, 2013 09:00

Not neccessarily.  There is a process to extract perfomance database from 1.5.1 to 1.6 and import into the viewer.  I'm still learning all the caveats; but the import process is CLI based and explained in the Installation Guide PDF:https://support.emc.com/docu47001_Unisphere-for-VMAX-V1.6-Installation-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i am currently running SPA 2.2.2 so looking at this as an opportunity to upgrade to Uni for VMAX 1.6 (will need to go through database conversion).  Do you by any chance know the path to download Unisphere for VMAX installer. Searching on support.emc.com did not generate any results (searched for UNIVMAX_V1.6.0.x_WINDOWS_X86_64.exe)

Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Here you go Dynamox:

May 13, 2013 - DL46965 -
Unisphere for VMAX Performance Viewer

https://download.emc.com/downloads/DL46965_Unisphere_for_VMAX_Performance_Viewer.ova

EMC Unisphere for VMAX
Performance Viewer is an offline tool which can be run on a VMPlayer to
analyze/troubleshoot diagnostic data off site, use historical data for
long-range capacity planning, or produce reports offsite.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

thank you vTrooper, do i need to use Unisphere for VMAX 1.6 to generate upv files for PV ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 13th, 2013 10:00

From the Installation Guide Doc (pg 19):

•   If upgrading from SPA V2.2.1 or higher to Unisphere V1.6, back up the SPA database using the SPA DB Backup utility for Unisphere. This utility is available on the EMC online support website (look for SPADBUpgradeBackupSMAStoUniVMAX). For instructions on how to use the utility, refer to the accompanying README file. After the installation of Unisphere, use the Restore option. The SPA online help provides instructions on backing up and restoring the SPA database.
  • If upgrading from a version lower than SPA 2.2.1, first upgrade to SPA 2.2.1, then upgrade to Unisphere as outlined in the previous bullets in this section.

As for the Upgrade Path of SPA2.2.1 to Unisphere, why not run the 1.6 from the ISO  and reimport the data as above.

(Each  below are 1GB ISO's)

VMAX Unisphere Appliance 1.6 ISO: here

VMAX Performance Viewer ISO file: here

If you are unable to run a "New Instance" of 1.6 you would have to ugrade to VMAX Unisphere 1.0.0 first and then upgrade to 1.6 later.  This remedies the issues of the 32->64 bit  and 64 bit->64 bit  issues of SMC/SPA as noted in the Unisphere for VMAX 1.6 Release Notes.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 13th, 2013 11:00

i guess what i am really trying to find is Unisphere for VMAX 1.6 with Performance , but Windows installer ..not the appliance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Well  it's the restraint to not run Unisphere on the same system as SMC/SPA. due to performance characteristics.  This was noted on the original VMAX Unisphere Installation Notes I believe.  1.1 or 1.0.   Now you can run each of these SCM/SPA/Unisphere in its own VM on the same physical system ( for Isolation) as long as your VM's have the horsepower assigned for each of the system requirements per the release notes.

But to answer your last post. I believe the PV is 'only' delivered as an OVA.   You can use the VMPlayer to run it.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

thanks for the links to ISO files. What do you mean "run the 1.6 from the ISO  and reimport the data as above". I am going to install Unisphere 1.6 on Win2k8 R2 server where i currently run SPA/SMC. Preferably i would like to keep my historical data that is currently stored in SPA so i assume that's what the SPA DB Backup utility will do for me.

Where did you see the requirement that in order to go to Unisphere 1.6 from SPA 2.2.1 i would first have to go to Unisphere 1.0.0 ..can't find anything about that in 1.6 Release notes.

Thank you for your help

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 13th, 2013 12:00

PV - VM only option ..i am good with that. Please correct me if i am wrong Unisphere for VMAX with Performance == SMC/SPA combo ?  Unisphere for VMAX == SMC

I was hoping for "Unisphere for VMAX with Performance" windows installer,  i would start the installer on my SPA/SMC machine and let it "upgrade" to Unisphere for VMAX. I can always backup my SPA DB with the provided utility, uninstall SPA/SMC and install Unisphere for VMAX ...but i really need the performance component.

2.1K Posts

May 19th, 2013 21:00

hi Matt,

That's an interesting new feature which allow customer to do maintenance by their own. Does CRU only include drive replacement in this release. Does it support other parts like SPS or Power Supply as well?

Thanks

Fenglin

13 Posts

May 20th, 2013 06:00

At this point it is limited to drives, as far as I am aware.

2.1K Posts

May 20th, 2013 18:00

thank you Paul for the reply

No Events found!