Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2014 13:00

Ask the Expert: Mind the Gap - A Technical Discussion on the Journey to the Third Platform

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: Announcing EMC LEAP Next-Gen ECM

Ask the Expert: VPLEX and RecoverPoint – What’s New?

Ask the Expert: RecoverPoint for Virtual Machine 4.3 SP1

Welcome to this EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation.

This Ask the Experts session follows the live launch event for Storage Resource Management Suite 3.0 and ViPR Data Services.  This discussion will be a deep dive in to EMC's Storage Management Software and how these solutions will help you overcome your daily storage issues while on your journey to the Third Platform.  Our experts will cover in depth how to:

• Control operational expenses as your data grows

• Reduce complexity while assuring service levels

• Optimize investments in multi-vendor storage

• Provide a path to the cloud leveraging your existing storage investments

Your Hosts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=9446&size=72

Paula Swanson is a  Product Marketing Manager with EMC. Paula is a senior marketing and account management professional with over 15 years’ experience with a strong track record marketing software and hardware products.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=9418&size=350

Cindy Goodell is the Sr. Product Marketing Manager for EMC's Software-Defined Storage Platform, ViPR. Previous to EMC, Cindy worked at Oracle as a product manager where she was responsible for their block storage porfolio.

Cindy holds a BS in Marketing from UMASS - Lowell and a MBA from the Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver.

46.png?a=11188

Matt Mendonza is a Product Manager for EMC. He has been involved with EMC since 2004. He started as an EMC field technician and SA.  He has also been an EMC customer, worked for EMC internal IT and now as an SRM Suite product manager. Matt has experience across a wide breadth of IT topics, from low level datacenter design, to high level application architecture and support.

This discussion begins on January 30  and concludes on February 18. Get ready by following this page to receive updates in your activity stream or through email.

116 Posts

February 6th, 2014 06:00

Hello SDavidDolan,

What is your favorite report/dashboard and why?   I'm sure other customers would appreciate your perspective.

Thanks,

Paula

It sure can.  In fact that is, to my group, one of the biggest advantages of SRMS.  In our enviorment we currently have NetApp (both 7 and C mode) as well as Isilon, ViPR, EMC VNX, EMC NX, and NS.  All of them are now visable in one interface, and in the case of some reports, I am even able to see my VMware enviorment, and how it interacts with each system in one page.  No more jumping to 4-6 different tools just to look at 1 server and how it is using storage.

We have a great new site - the ViPR Community - which can be found at community.emc.com/community/edn/vipr#developer.  It is a central place to learn about how ViPR can help you get the most of your storage investments, access developer resources and participate in technical discussions.  Another great feature you will find on this site is a Free ViPR Software Download!  It will let you try ViPR software at no charge for test and development environments.   Try it out and let us know what you think.

32 Posts

Thank you Cindy.  This is some great information!

We received a question during our chat that asked "Can Storage Resource Management Suite do analytics on NetApp"?  Can it?

February 6th, 2014 07:00

It ia not a single report, or at least not yet (I am planning on making one with my favorite items), but the "Situations to Watch" stuff, and the "Planning" tab.

I love having potential issues and usage forcasting at my finger tips.  No more wasted space because of poor allocation, and no more last minute freak outs because I run out of space without knowing.   Plus with the automated reports that I have set up, not only myself but the VMware admin are able to get a report showing where we have VMware items over allocated. That means not only do I get storage back, but he gets compute back.  Massive ROI right there for us already.

116 Posts

February 6th, 2014 09:00

The Situations to Watch set of reports are great for helping you quickly spot problem areas.   Below you can see the various out-of-the-box reports that can help you better manage your IT infrastructure.

Situations to Watch.jpg
The Planning & Forecasting report quickly helps you identify capacity problems that you need to address.

Planning_Forecasting.jpg

These reports are automated and available at your fingertips in seconds.    If you want to see more, I created an brief demo that provides an overview of the Storage Resource Management Suite here.

32 Posts

February 7th, 2014 11:00

What great insight from Paula and SDavisDolan. Please keep it coming.

Another question we recevied during the live event was How are manually required things like BIN file configurations, choosing the right tier, the right performance or capacity requirement LUNS and Hypervolumes all automated?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 7th, 2014 13:00

Hey Jamie,

Once storage pools are presented to ViPR you create Virtual Storage pools and Virtual Arrays. You can then define policies that decide how ViPR should provision storage requests. Once configured ViPR can then make policy based decisions on storage allocations and provisioning.

February 8th, 2014 08:00

We have some great videos at https://community.emc.com/community/edn/vipr#developer that demonstrate how to set up ViPR virtual storage arrays and pool, provision file and block storage and how to install ViPR.  If you are interested in taking a TourThrough the ViPR Experience join our webcast on February 13th.  Register at http://bit.ly/1exkpEB.

32 Posts

February 10th, 2014 05:00

Thank you Matt.

Hey Experts!  We had another great question from our Q&A on January 30 about Storage Resource Management Suite (SRM) 3.0.  The question was Can I see a mapped lun using SRM 3.0 from a host zoned to VPLEX on a SAN down to a disk pool to a lun and report on usable space? 

74 Posts

February 10th, 2014 10:00

Yes.  We introduced some VPLEX end-to-end capabilities in 3.0, and have more planned for 2014.  With 3.0 you can see a Path Details view that shows the LUN relationship from a host device thru the VPLEX to the array LUN:

VPLEX Path Details.PNG.png

This is great for troubleshooting a performance problem, for example, because it lets you see where the host storage is actually coming from.

4K Posts

February 10th, 2014 19:00

Hi,

I'm the moderator of the ECN Chinese Forum, a Chinese customer from our forum wants to ask you some questions as well. So

1. What is the "Third Platform"?

2. Why we need to shift to the Third Platform?

Thanks,

Roger

116 Posts

February 11th, 2014 05:00

Hello Roger,

We are now in what leading industry analysts refer to as the 3rd platform of the IT Technology Evolution. A platform that must be architected for web-scale and capable of managing billions of users and millions of applications; designed for speed, agility, mobility and growth.    When you think of the 3rd platform think of mobile devices, cloud, big data and social with billions of users and millions of apps.   When you think of 2nd platform which is where we are now, think of client/servers with hundreds of millions of users and tens of thousands of apps.   

As far as customers having to move to the 3rd platform, it's the general direction of the industry.   Some will be on the leading edge and others will follow some time after.   Here's an article that discusses the 3rd platform in more detail.  http://bit.ly/1mhYm84

The 3rd platform provides the means to achieve cloud scale, speed, agility, mobility, and growth.  According to  IDC, the third platform, will serve as the primary growth driver of the IT industry over the next decade, responsible for 75% of new growth as worldwide IT spending moves from $3.7 trillion in 2013 to more than $5 trillion in 2020.

In an effort to realize the 3rd platform benefits, enterprises are embracing the Software-Defined Data Center.  The Software-Defined Data Center’s architectural approach enables enterprises to abstract, pool and automate all of their data center resources (compute, storage and network) and services to deliver on the promise of the 3rd platform.  All the data center resources have abstracted from the underlying hardware to create shared pools of resources.  With this approach we can truly build an adaptive data center.

EMC ViPR Software-defined Storage and Storage Resource Management Suite work together to help customers establish a solid foundation for bridging the gap between their current IT infrastructure and the Third platform. Together, these offerings provide customers with the tools they need to abstract, pool, and automate storage resources for delivering higher level services (ViPR) while continuing to manage and provide visibility into both the traditional and software-defined storage environments (SRM Suite). 

For more information there are several great articles out there on the 3rd Platform and its benefits:

32 Posts

Hi Roger,

If your forum members have not seen the Mind the Gap event yet it is available on demand here:  http://bit.ly/two2three

EMCs Division President, Amitabh Srivastava, talks about what the third platform is and why it is so important. It's a great watch and i think will put the third platform in to perspective.

Jamie

No Events found!