Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2013 16:00

Evacuation of SAN

I have purchased a new Equallogic 6100 and want that to become my production SAN and evacuate my older PS5000. I have the 6100 in the same group as the 5000 and it has just finished verifying its raid set and now has about half my data 2TB and the 5000 has the other half. I did notice that the new array has about 32 ISCSI connections and the old array has 57. Should those number of connections be the same on both arrays? Or when I do the evacuation all the the remaining connections will move over?

Thanks

Rick

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

April 17th, 2013 06:00

The connection count per array is controlled by the Network Load Balancer and may not be equal across both members.  When you remove the PS5000 from the group, the connections will move to the remaining member(s) in that pool.

A good practice to removing a member, has been to first create a temporary pool (call it anything you want), then first move the PS5000 to it.  Once safely in its own pool, you can then remove it from the group.

-joe

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

April 17th, 2013 10:00

Members can be deleted directly from the production pool, moving it out of the production pool first is just an added level of “comfort” that I have seen used.  This also allows you to keep the group configuration on the member without it handling any IO, until absolutely sure you what to remove the member.

-joe

7 Posts

April 17th, 2013 10:00

Joe can you tell me why it is a good practice to create the temp pool first before removing?

No Events found!