Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2021 09:00

Help with passing ISM v4 exam

Hi I am looking to get help on ways to study and pass the ISM exam. i have taken it 2x and failed. I know it requires extensive studying (800pg training materials given from class) . But can you help with understanding the Storage Systems formulas (# of GB/ Disks  based on RAID type), and Networking protocols (iSCsi, FCoE), Formulas for MTTR/IA. Anything helps as this test covers a wide range of things and every it's different.

Community Manager

• 

478 Posts

May 20th, 2021 05:00

Hello Tardy20,

Proven Exam Prep Course 

https://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=reg20.jsp&parnerref=landing&eventid=2761184&sessionid=1&key=A5BD0CB7F55EEAE2161B0E66E97BF283&regTag=&V2=false&sourcepage=register 

Or Practice Test

https://secure.testcraft.com/emc/assess.aspx?aid=MR-1DP-DEA1TT4-2019Q1&apass=ASSCISMV4 

[Practice tests allow you to become familiar with the topics and question types you will find on the proctored exam. Your results on a practice test offer one indication of how prepared you are for the proctored exam and can highlight topics on which you need to study and train further. *A passing score on the practice test does not guarantee a passing score on the certification exam.*]

Good luck to you!

19 Posts

May 26th, 2021 07:00

Tardy20,

When you get one of the MTTR/MTBF/IA questions, make sure you note the SLA window and the time the failures occur (start/finish). One of my exam questions was for IA, the SLA window was Monday-Friday 8AM to 8PM and one of the failures ran from say 7am - 10am. Don't forget the uptime is only 5 (days) x 12 (hours) in this example (I don't think my study guide made that clear), so you have to deduct the one hour from 7am to 8am from the total downtime so it's only two hours instead of three. Also, in this case, ignore any downtime that occurs on Saturday or Sunday.

My exam question for number of disks required gave a lot of superfluous information e.g. raid type, total capacity etc but what it came down to was the number of disks required to meet the stated I/O requirement (IOPS) :
Total_IOPS / A_single_drive_IOPS = number of disks required.
(Luckily I don't think the IOPS at 70% utilisation came into the question).

It was only by throwing the formulas (from the student guide) into Excel while I was studying and messing around with the numbers that it became clearer.

Out of interest, did you do classroom, virtual classroom or on-demand?

1 Message

June 19th, 2021 08:00

I found it helpful to do the practice tests for both ISMv4 and ISMv3 to prepare for the exam. After that, you just need to make sure you understand the use cases for various technologies covered in the training material (for example, FC vs FCoE, vs FCIP) and be able to understand how to apply your understanding.

I highly recommend taking the practice test, see where you're struggling and then review that section of the coursework a few times before trying again. That's how I passed on my first attempt - a combination of brute force (taking the practice test many times) and persistence (reviewing the coursework to incrementally increase knowledge). That's how it has to be for those of us who are not naturally gifted or who lack the background to breeze through these certs.

The free practice test for ISMv4 can be found at ismv4, | Dell Technologies Education Service (dellemc.com)

November 12th, 2021 09:00

Hi guys,

Wanted to ask if anyone has the studying material for ISM v4 or can help me to the link of the book so I can buy it.

Please note that I have taken the official Unity training but I can not get certified without taking the Associate ISM first.

Many thanks,

Almonthiry

65 Posts

November 15th, 2021 06:00

Hi Almonthiry, you can find the ISM v4 exam description here. This document is your best source for understanding exam contents, the recommended curriculum as well as a practice test intended to gauge readiness for the exam. We have not published a book for ISM in quite some time and it would not contain the latest updates to the ISM v4 exam.

Best of luck!

Deb

#IWorkforDell

No Events found!