Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2014 07:00

5.1 Audio from iTunes on Dell Studio XPS 16

I have a Dell Studio XPS 16 I7 laptop which I have connected to a Logitech 5.1 sound system via the 3 X 3.5mm jacks on the side. I have successfully configured the 3 jacks to the 5.1 set up in the IDT HD control panel. When I play sound from a web site it comes out of all 5 speakers without any issues. When I play sound from iTunes it only comes from the left and right speaker only. I have tried re downloading iTunes but to no avail. I have exactly the same set up on an old Dell 420 desktop which works fine (same output via 3 X 3.5mm jacks). The only other thing I have noticed is that when I do a speaker test in the Speaker / Headphone configuration tab of the IDT HD control panel, I get no sound but when I do a speaker test on the Independent (R.T.C.) headphones tab I do get sound (left and right only). As I say though, if I play a radio station in the web browser it works fine with all 5 channels playing. Can anybody help?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 24th, 2014 07:00

Hello. I don't know if this is the answer but this information might help. To get surround sound through the IDT hardware assumes that you have a surround source like a dvd movie with surround audio. The IDT driver does not have software to simulate surround sound from a stereo source. (I don't use iTunes and don't know if it is a surround source or not.)

Dell used to sell an optional software product (Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi MB software) that could simulate 5.1 from 2 channels.

I think that if you are getting surround sound from a web site or if you test okay with a surround dvd, then the laptop audio is probably working as intended.

4 Posts

January 27th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you say, except, surely, when you perform 'test speakers' in the IDT 5.1 software, no sound is heard. Surely that would give an output if it was working as intended.

Thank you for trying to help me.

No Events found!