Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2013 01:00

5 beeps on startup with Dell Inspiron, battery has been replaced

Hi,

Please can someone help.    I have a Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop which beeps 5 times on startup, sometimes this stops when you login to Windows, sometimes the 5 beeps continues very quietly after logging into Windows.

As suggested in the post below I have replaced the coin cell battery to no avail.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19411823.aspx

The problem seemed to start after connecting a flat screen TV to the laptop via a HDMI cable.

All system tests return successful.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Guy

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

May 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi Guy,

Welcome to the Community.

If the issue persists after replacing the CMOS battery, I would suggest you to reset the BIOS. Restart the system and tap F2 to enter into BIOS Setup.

Also, you could try updating the BIOS of the system using the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/13Trfyx

NOTE: Ensure that the battery is more than 30% charged and the adapter is connected during the BIOS update process.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

May 26th, 2013 05:00

Hi Manshu,

Thanks for the speedy response.   I've tried resetting the BIOS and updating the BIOS using the link you provided but it still beeps.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Guy

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

May 28th, 2013 05:00

Hi Guy,

Did you perform any recent hardware changes to the system?

If the issue persists after replacing the CMOS battery, system board needs replacement to isolate the issue.

Also, could you record the sound and post it? 

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

May 28th, 2013 12:00

Hi Manshu,

No, I've not changed any hardware.   The problem started after connecting a HDMI cable.  I've seen other users with similar issues also caused by HDMI (although admittedly not on a Inspiron laptop)

en.community.dell.com/.../20189303.aspx

I'm afraid I can't replace the system board.

I've recorded the beeps, wasn't sure how to post them to this forum so have posted on Soundcloud -

soundcloud.com/.../dell-laptop-beeps

Regards

Guy

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

May 30th, 2013 03:00

Hi Guy,

Is it happening only when HDMI cable is connected with the laptop?

If yes, replace the HDMI cable.

It can be an issue with the slot where the CMOS battery is connected. In that case, replacing the system board is the only fix.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

No Events found!