Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2017 18:00

Apps do not connect to the Internet

I have a DELL Inspiron 5000 Series Laptop.  I am unable to access any websites via wireless or direct connect.  The modem shows that  the signal is going to the unit, but no signal is returning.  I have tried several ports on the modem, including one connected to a working computer.  I have also tried several cables.  The computer says it is successfully connected to our network.  This just started out of the blue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cindy

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 11th, 2017 18:00

What "signal" are you referring to that's being shown as going to the modem but not returning?  If you're referring to the signal coming to the modem from your Internet provider, then if your modem can't get a stable connection in both directions, you're not going to have an Internet connection for anything until that's resolved.  You could try unplugging the power to the modem for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in to see if that resolves it, otherwise you'd have to contact your ISP.  There may be an outage in your area or they may have to come out and investigate something.

The computer saying it's connected to the network just means that it's connected to your local network.  The router's wired network jacks and WiFi radio will continue to accept connections, and it will continue to issue IP addresses to allow devices on your home network to communicate with each other if needed, but that does not mean that you have a connection OUT of your network.

6 Posts

August 12th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

Thanks for responding.  A little clarification:

When you hard wire the laptop to the modem, the connection point on the modem has two lights, one for the signal going to the laptop and one for the signal going from the laptop to the modem.  In my situation, the signal from the modem is going out (blinking), but no signal is coming back from the laptop (not blinking).  

Again, the laptop ays that it is connected to the network, but I cannot log in to the internet.  I have tried Foxfire, Google,etc.  It just clocks for several minutes and times out.

Thanks,

Cindy

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 12th, 2017 07:00

I've been doing IT for 15 years and I have never seen a cable modem that has separate LEDs for each direction of traffic for the network jacks that PCs would connect to.  However, that separate "Upstream/Downstream" LED design is common, maybe even universal, for the actual cable signal from the provider. For the network jacks, typically you get an indicator that there's a link, and then maybe an activity LED, but the latter is not directional.

Any chance you can post a picture of these LEDs? Or maybe just post the model of the modem so I can look at its manual online, or even just pictures of it? And have you checked whether any other PCs/devices in your home have Internet connectivity through this modem?

6 Posts

August 12th, 2017 08:00

Hi,

The modem is from Verizon. Your description of the LED lights sounds logical.  I did not see a model number anywhere on it, only the name Actiontec.  Sending pics.

Tried the port for our tower pc, which I am using to post to the forum (so I know it works), with no luck.  :)

Also tried multiple cables.

Thanks,

Cindy

6 Posts

August 12th, 2017 08:00

Sending pics.  The modem is from Verizon.

6 Posts

August 12th, 2017 09:00

OK, I got the pics, but I don't see a way to attach them??

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 12th, 2017 11:00

If you click "Use Rich Formatting" under the regular text box to write a post, one of the buttons over the new text box you'll see will be "Insert/Edit Media". That should allow you to upload pics.  Otherwise, maybe do a Google Images search for "Verizon Actiontec modem" and see if you can find pictures that accurately represent the front and rear of your modem at decent resolution and just include links to those?

However, if your desktop PC has Internet connectivity through this modem, that may be unnecessary.  That incidentally would have been a useful data point to include upfront to rule out a problem with the modem, fyi. I thought you might have been posting from a smartphone connected via cellular data or something.  Anyhow, if it's only the laptop that's affected, have you tried basic troubleshooting like restarting, disabling and re-enabling the network adapter, etc.?  Can you open Command Prompt and post the results of entering "ipconfig /all" while the laptop is connected to the modem via wired and/or WiFi?

6 Posts

August 12th, 2017 18:00

Ah Ha!

I am sending a link that shows the modem, while I try to figure out how to download the pics from my phone to the PC.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

To answer your questions, -- I thought I mentioned originally, that the tower worked, but not the laptop, even when using the same port as the tower.  My apologies.

Again, I would like to make sure that you know the laptop says it is connected to the network, through the modem, but the apps do not open, and there is only one LED blinking on the port the laptop is connected with.  It does not work wireless either.

We did do troubleshooting, such as reboot, disable/enable adapter, diagnostics.

When I try to enter the ipconfig /all command, the screen flashes, but no data comes up.  I tried this command on the tower pc as well with same results.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 12th, 2017 18:00

That's why I said you need to open Command Prompt first, THEN enter "ipconfig /all" into the window that appears.  If you just enter "ipconfig /all", the window only opens long enough for the command to run, which is a second or so, and obviously not long enough for you to actually see the output.  I understand that you have a network link to the modem via both wired and Wi-Fi, but if you still can't connect to the Internet even though another PC also connected to that modem can, it suggests that there may be something wrong with the IP or DNS configuration within Windows on that laptop, which would be indicated by the output of "ipconfig /all".  And actually while you're at it, you may as well grab the "ipconfig /all" output from the tower that's working just for comparison.

The Amazon image of the modem you provided doesn't show separate upstream or downstream LEDs for anything, neither the internal network jacks nor the Internet connection to the provider, so I'm not sure what LED(s) you expecting to be on for that laptop that weren't.  Anyhow, that whole line of questioning was to rule out the modem as a possible cause of lack of Internet connectivity before you mentioned that you had a tower that was working, so that's probably not worth pursuing anymore.

No Events found!