Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2012 15:00

BIOS FOR SCHOOL KIDS... WHY DELL WHY??? XPS L501X

So i buy an XPS and i want to make changes to the BIOS.. but wait dell think i am a school kid aged 5 and as such I am not allowed rights to the system that I  own.. if you know what BIOS is then you should be allowed to make changes, if you don't chances are you are never going to touch it anyway, so why bother locking it.. its just plain stupid.. First issue is I purchased 4GB of Ram with the laptop, dell`s website says this is 1333Mhz, which it may be, but its set to run at only 1066Mhz so what's the point.. can I change this.. NO.. why not, no reason other than Dell being.. well Dell, My bet is if you want upgrades and changes this stops you doing it fully and you have to send the system to Dell who then charge 3-4x times what a shop would.. 

my second issues, be it related, is i purchased some new RAM, now i`m on BIOS A08 for my XPS L501X with 8GBs of ram all stuck at 1066Mhz.. 

don't think ill be shopping here when its time to upgrade somehow.. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 12th, 2012 09:00

1066Mhz is determined by the Processor and Chipset not the BIOS.

This system does not allow overclocking.

Not All CPU's run at 1333 Mhz.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 12th, 2012 09:00

Hi Ben500,

I'm going to move your message to the laptop forum, which is the best place to get answers about your laptop. This forum is for desktop questions.

(And no, I don't think you are a 5-yr old kid. This is just the way the forum works.)

12 Posts

December 12th, 2012 15:00

yes i have since learnt this, but some CPUs allow more than one frequency and in the BIOS you change the settings to the right one, however in my bios i cant change a anything other than the time!! As it happens turns out dell lied on their sale of the machine, they sold it at 1333Mhz but the CPU is limited to 1066Mhz so its not what was advertised. I am now writing to explain this fully to them and offer them the chance to correct their mistake. (as advised by my local Citizens advice office) i guess we will see!!    

No Events found!