Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 1st, 2015 17:00

BIOS log Power ON - Not Applicable

Hello, I own a Dell Precision M6800 laptop and I have noticed that every time i turn the system on, or exit the BIOS, or when I restart the OS, there is a BIOS Power Events log entry with the message " Power On - Not applicable" and that's it, no additional error code.

The message sounds to me like a problem, should I be worried about this? could this be some defective hardware? I have ran the ePSA diagnostics and everything checks out ok, but it could be missing something since the log entry is exactly at the time of the power on before you can run the ePSA. I'm guessing that at the time of the POST checkup there might be something wrong.

Did anyone else encounter this BIOS log entry?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 1st, 2015 19:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

14 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 02:00

Hello Ravi , I forgot to mention this, but I have tried every version of bios including the last version A14 and the log entry is stil made for every version, each time I restart via the OS, or exit the bios or cold boot the system.

Which is odd, now that I think more about it,  this message might not be generated during POST as I previously suspected, because when restarting the OS the computer doesn't go through the POST verification since the hardware is already running and only the OS is restarted, but I could be wrong, I'm not an expert on these issues. 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 8th, 2015 22:00

Hi bpetre,

We have performed the main troubleshooting steps to remove the message. However the message would not create any performance issue on the system you can ignore it.

No Events found!